Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wonderfully Made

I was just thinking about...

Several years ago, in the 1970s, there was a Poster that stated: "God Don't Make No Junk." In her Auto-Biography, Ethel Waters stated: "I know I'm somebody 'Cause God don't make no junk." I somewhat suspect that she may have had a couple of Scriptures in mind - (a) Jeremiah 1:5 - "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." and (b) Psalm 139:13-14, "For You formed my inward parts; You knitted me together in my Mother's womb. I praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well.

As I reflect upon the thought: "God Don't Make No Junk", I am reminded of a f
ew words in Rick Warren's Book entitled, The Purpose Driven Life. Chapter Two is entitled, "You Are Not An Accident." He goes on to say: "God had a plan in creating you. It doesn't matter whether your parents were good, bad, or indifferent. God knew that those two individuals possessed exactly the right genetic makeup to create the custom "YOU" He had in mind...While there are illegitimate parents, there are no illegitimate children...they are not unplanned by God...there is a God Who made "YOU" for a reason, and your life has profound meaning..."

These words have been helpful to me and to countless others. Even though I may have at one time seemed aimless and with no plans or prospects - God has always been in control. He was the one watching over, guarding and shaping, directing my footsteps - to make me what He wanted me to be, and getting me to where He wanted me to go. As I reflect back over the years, I am continually amazed at how the Lord intervened in my life and enabled me in some small way to serve Him.

John W. Peterson wrote a Hymn many years ago that contains a beautiful summary of God's direction of one's life. Contemplating Heaven, the second verse is - -

If God should let me there review, The winding paths of earth I knew,
It would be proven clear and true JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY .
And the Refrain - - -
Jesus led me all the way , Led me step by step each day ;
I will tell the saints and angels As I lay my burdens down ,
"JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY."

It is always sad to see those who have lost their way because of moral failure, rejection by man, clinical depression, etc. I hope I never forget to implement Hebrews 12:2, "Keep on looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith..." And, the words of Psalm 37, "Fret not...Delight yourself in the Lord...Trust in Him...Rest in Him..."

God Don't Make No Junk!

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.
Jeremiah 1: 5

No comments: