Tuesday, January 16, 2018

WAITING AND PATIENCE

I was just thinking about – WAITING AND PATIENCE.
When Peggy and I began our relationship together, we were in agreement that a passage of Scripture that was important to us was Psalm 37:4,5,7. This reference was engraved in our wedding rings to remind us of these important principles for life and their importance in our life together:
  • Take delight in the Lord – at all times and in all things.
  • Ask him to give you the desires of your heart.
  • Commit your way to the Lord - unconditionally.
  • Trust in him – implicitly.
  • Be still before the Lord – listen for his voice and direction.
  • Wait patiently for him – in all one’s ways and decisions.
Over the years, when sharing thoughts and counsel from this passage, it was not unusual for me to share that a word appearing in the Psalm is “rest” and would emphasize for us that one needs to “relax in the Lord while waiting patiently for His will and direction to be revealed.” The NLT renders Psalm 37:7, “Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.” I wonder if these words were in the mind of the Hymn Writer when the words were penned:
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
While obedience requires we adhere to the words of the Psalmist, some things are easier said than done. We all have moments when we act impulsively. These are times when we act before thinking through a situation or requirement and then have a measure of remorse because of our haste in acting and behaving in such a manner.
Years ago, Children’s Ministry utilized visuals that were a vital part of communicating Biblical Truths to the children. One of the Choruses used an octagon shaped sign that was held up and conveyed – “STOP and let me tell you what the Lord has done for me…” In a brief summary way, the words that followed were: “He forgave my sin. And He saved my soul, He cleansed my heart. And He made me whole.” The second stanza to that chorus stated: “Go and tell the story of the Christ of Calvary.” It was a compelling chorus that the children sang with enthusiasm.
It struck me that the idea of “Stop” and “Go” has tremendous value for each of us in our growing relationship with the Lord. It is a work in progress to “wait patiently” on the one who has a perfect plan for each of our lives. More and more, I am being reminded of this principle to “wait patiently” for His timing and will to be made known and done.
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: