Monday, January 22, 2018

SWERVES AND CURVES

I Was Just Thinking About – SWERVES AND CURVES.
Last week, Thursday and Friday were both interesting days at UAB Hospital for a number of reasons. Thursday, the port was inserted and the feeding tube removed (regrettably the Tracheostomy remains). Friday involved several hours as the Chemo protocols took place. All Hospitals are different, but the Chemo Infusion Room at Kirklin Center is comprised of a large room with several cubicles divided only by curtains/drapes. The cubicle is large enough for a Recliner and an IV stand. No visitor seating is provided. One sits there for six hours or so while the protocols are injected.
Part way through the procedure, I noticed a woman making her way from cubicle to cubicle. As much as I attempted to avoid eye contact with her, she stopped and introduced herself as a representative with the Pastoral Care Staff at the Clinic. She was pleasant but made a shocking statement at the outset of the conversation. She asked me why I was there and being treated. I indicated that it was due to the diagnosis of Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. She then said: “Oh, you don’t need to believe that – it is just a number they use but it doesn’t mean that much.” I responded, for most people hearing “Stage 4” it represents one may have only six months (more or less) left to live.”
The conversation, moved along and she told me about her Episcopalian Credentials until she asked what I did. I identified myself and the conversation made a dramatic change. She indicated the plight of the Episcopacy and the inability of garnering young men for their priesthood, etc. I mentioned to her a book I had written on: “The Twenty-First Century Church: Is It Waxing of Waning?” She blurted out that it was waxing. As we discussed some of the issues that demonstrate it is actually waning – clergy more complicit than challenging the cultural shifts occurring within the Church; the message being adjusted to be non-offending regarding the trends rather than confronting them Biblically. she was a bit uncomfortable. Many places in Scripture could be consulted but the one that stood out in my mind was, Jeremiah 5:30-31, “A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority and my people love it this way. But what will you do in the end?”
Not being able to get out into the public the past few weeks, I have scanned the TV for a worship service that was true to the Word of God (should one expect or settle for anything less?). While there are a very few possibilities, overall, there is a dearth from which one can select. I did come across a program this week that emphasized a Charles Wesley Lyric in the Hymn, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. The words are compelling about the love of God and what he expects as one’s response: “Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all.”
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: