Tuesday, January 30, 2018

MYOPIA

I Was Just Thinking About – MYOPIA.

For those afflicted with myopia, the meaning is that they have become short-sighted; or are lacking in foresight or intellectual insight.” This can apply to the cultural erosion and deterioration that is occurring within our nation as a whole and the church in particular. A problem with being myopic is that the horizon of one has become very abbreviated. It is more individualized rather than seeing life and function in the broader perspective of which one is a part.

For the Church, it can be too easy to fall into the snare of the Church at Laodicea, Revelation 3:15-19. As Jesus walks in the midst of the Church, He observes: “I know your deeds; you are neither cold nor hot. How I wish you were one or the other. So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of My mouth! You say, ‘I am rich; I have grown wealthy and need nothing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, white garments so that you may be clothed and your shameful nakedness not exposed, and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. Those I love, I rebuke and discipline. Therefore, be earnest and repent.” The condition Jesus observes and that stands out is: “…you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.”  

How does a group of people get themselves to a point where there is a neglect of reality and it is no longer part of their consciousness? Is it due to their personal self-contentment? Have they fallen into the trap of comparing themselves with other organizations and rationalizing they are not as bad as the other group is? Have they taken the Word of God for granted – they have it but are no longer governing themselves by it? Have they allowed themselves to become an organization that has neglected or forgotten its calling, purpose, vision and mission?

As and when a group gets back on track with the Lord’s call, purpose, vision and mission, Revelation 3:20-21 indicates a renewed relationship with Jesus Christ: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and dine with him, and he with Me. To the one who is victorious, I will grant the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” What awaits one who responds to the words of Jesus? It involves relationship, fellowship and victory. 

The Hymn, Faith is the Victory, contains these words: “On every hand the foe we find; Drawn up in dread array. Let tents of ease be left behind, And onward to the fray.” This is our calling and opportunity. How will you respond to it? Will you maintain the status quo or cross over into Christ’s victory for you, His people and His Church?

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: