Monday, January 1, 2018

BINDING AND BONDING

I Was Just Thinking About – BINDING & BONDING.

My life changed abruptly on December first. It necessitated time in both Clinic appointments and as in patient in UAB Hospital. I have always found it interesting to observe people’s facial expressions. As I sat in the Waiting Room, some people sat there alone and were relatively expressionless. It caused me to wonder what was going on in their mind and inner being. Most people were there for various Cancer treatment and care. Some expressions indicated a helplessness as well as a loneliness. If I had been able to minister to them, what would I say? What would I do?

Two passages of Scripture that came to mind touched my own heart. The first was Psalm 147:3,5 – “(The Lord) heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.” The second passage is Isaiah 61:1-3 (Selected). “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted…to give them…the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit.” The broken-hearted and heavy-hearted are near to the heart of the Lord. Those who have been informed of and begun treatment for cancer may possess a faint heart and spirit. When informed they are a Stage 4 patient, it conveys they may have only six months to one year to live.

What would be helpful for most of these people? What would bring them encouragement and/or a glimmer of hope? I think of the bonding factor as being a hug from God, a reassurance of His love, plan and purpose for one’s life, and the fact that all things will work together for the good – those who are called according to His purpose. Words that mean the most for me are: Ephesians 3:20, “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory.” The NLT expresses it: “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.”

The other passage is II Corinthians 12:9, “But he (The Lord) said to me: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” It is always beneficial to wrap one’s mind around the all-sufficiency of God’s Grace for all of one’s life. Equally beneficial is to remember “His mighty power that is at work in us.” We should feel free to personalize the text that His Power is at work IN ME.

These two passages are like a large hug from the Lord that remind one that He still cares and He remains in control of all details that pertain to one’s individual life. Do you sense God hugging you today? Do you sense His presence and closeness to you today?

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.





-->

No comments: