Wednesday, January 24, 2018

THE JOURNEY

I Was Just Thinking About – THE JOURNEY.
Over the years, I have consulted the Hymnal as part of my devotional reading, especially the great Hymns from the past. One of them by Horatius Bonar was written in 1857:
Thy way, not mine, O Lord, however dark it be;
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.
Smooth let it be or rough, it will be still the best;
Winding or straight, it leads Right onward to Thy rest.
The Journey chosen for the child of God is described by Jesus Christ as “A Narrow Way.” A scholar from the past indicated: “The restrictions of the narrow way are not infringements upon one’s liberty, but serve as protections against evil.” What does that narrow way indicate and include?
There is the need to have one’s life centered in the will of God. The dynamic prayer in Colossians 4:12 states: “Epaphras…is always wrestling in prayer for you, so that you may stand mature and fully assured in the full will of God.” Maturity and being fully assured are the goal and purpose.
How does one arrive at this point? Romans 12:1-2 instructs: “I urge you, brothers, on account of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.” It necessitates non-conformity to the world and cultural influences of a given day. It is conformity rather than complicity.
The prayer and desire of the Psalmist serves us well today: “Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.” An emphasis is on an undivided heart so one can avoid the confusion that would otherwise ensue. Elsewhere the Psalmist prayed – Psalm 27:11, “Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path…” The earnest desire of his heart is expressed in Psalm 25:4-5, “Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.”
Horatius Bonar closes his Hymn with these words:
The kingdom that I seek Is Thine: so let the way; That leads to it be Thine, Else I must surely stray. Not mine, not mine the choice in things or great or small; Be Thou my Guide, my Strength My Wisdom, and my All.
Our Journey Along The Narrow Way is the safest path we can and should walk. It pleases the Lord and draws us closer into His presence.
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: