Monday, March 19, 2018

UNFORCED ERRORS


I was Just Thinking About – UNFORCED ERRORS.

What is an unforced error? A basic definition uses tennis as an illustration: “A missed shot or lost point that is entirely a result of the player's own blunder and not because of the opponent's skill or effort.” In the recent Basketball Tournaments, there were examples of unforced errors when one player on the team fails to pass the ball to a teammate who had a better chance of scoring. It is a form of selfish play (some like to call it playground basketball) that follows a rule of everyone for himself or herself. This kind of unforced error can result in a missed opportunity to score much needed points and may actually make the final difference between winning or losing the game.

There are many examples of unforced errors in social, political and cultural situations. On social media, it can be seen in critical comments written about a situation or person. Some make use of videos and post some gross material that results in needless impressions and repercussions (such as a comedienne holding the head that had been removed from a political figure) and then wondering why the general public is repulsed.

This also occurs in public discourse in the classrooms and pulpits of the nation. There seems to be little or no discipline when statements are stated or blurted out and/or words used that convey vulgarities. In human discourse, there are Biblical guidelines that should be employed. First, James 1:5, If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” Second, James 1:19-20, “Know this: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” The Phillips Translation states: “Let every man be quick to listen but slow to use his tongue, and slow to lose his temper.”

What should be the modus operandi of how a person responds with his/her words? How measured should a Biblical Christian be when it comes to words used and statements made? It seems obvious that David had a clear understanding in this regard when he wrote in Psalm 19:12-14, “Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” These are powerful words that should be used as a frequent prayer by the people of God. 

Just suppose that paraphrased Verse 12 to read: “Who can discern his unforced errors in words that are said – their impact upon others and needless repercussion in ministry – would we think twice before speaking once? The paraphrase of these verses in NLT state: “How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Don’t let them control me… May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you.”

Prayers one would do well to pray: Psalm 141:3, “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 119:171-172, “May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees. May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.” Why should we pray these prayers? A sad truism is declared in James 3:2, 9-10, “We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.” These words are a good reminder and challenge for me! I hope they are helpful for you!

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: