Thursday, March 8, 2018

A TESTIMONY


I Was Just Thinking About – A TESTIMONY.

What is a testimony? “A declaration of truth or fact; evidence testifying to something that has happened. A statement; affirmation. Conveys the idea of to repeat again and again. There are different places in Scripture and different applications made regarding how “testimony” is used in Scripture. One is in Psalm 19:7 that states: “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.” The testimonies of the Lord can be in the form of a declaration (prophecy or message) and The Law.  Psalm 93:5 states: Your decrees are very trustworthy; holiness befits (adorns) your house, O Lord, forevermore.” In Psalm 119:89-90 is an affirmation: Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens. Your faithfulness endures to all generations.”

Regarding what a testimony is and does was stated by an unknown source in this manner: “Your story is the key that can unlock someone else’s prison. Only God can turn mess into a message, a test into a testimony, a trial into a triumph, a victim into a victor.” What should a basic testimony embrace and state? What is my/your testimony? Jesus died, He was buried, and resurrected for our sins. First John 5:9-12, “God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.  And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.” Is this what you believe today? Is this the testimony you can and will share with others?

What does a testimony do? It makes a declaration of Gospel truth. First John 1:1-3, “This we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.” A testimony is based upon foundational truths, Second Timothy 2:19, “God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: The Lord knows those who are his, and Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”

A testimony should never be ego-driven or self-promotion. A testimony must be totally honest, true and believable. It should be about what Jesus Christ alone has done to redeem me by His grace alone. The focus should always be on Jesus Christ and His amazing grace that saved a wretch like me; I once was lost but now am found; was blind but now I see (John Newton - 1779). Another appropriate testimony could include the words written by Horatius Bonar (1846): I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Come unto Me and rest; Lay down, thou weary one, lay down Thy head upon My breast.” I came to Jesus as I was, weary and worn and sad; I found in Him a resting place, and He has made me glad.
I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Behold, I freely give The living water; thirsty one, stoop down, and drink, and live.” I came to Jesus, and I drank of that life-giving stream; My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, and now I live in Him.
 I heard the voice of Jesus say, “I am this dark world’s Light; Look unto Me, thy morn shall rise, and all thy day be bright.” I looked to Jesus, and I found in Him my Star, my Sun; And in that light of life I’ll walk, till traveling days are done.

A Biblical testimony is always focused on Jesus Christ and what He has done in His redemption for a sinner. Anything other than that does not afford Him the glory He alone deserves.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.


No comments: