Wednesday, March 7, 2018

I Was Just Thinking About – LOCKED AND LOADED.

Locked and Loaded was an expression used by John Wayne if the film, Sands of Iwo Jima. It actually is a slang expression to indicate one is ready to go. The spiritual consideration would ask at least a couple of questions: (1) Ready to go where? and (2) Ready to do what? When Paul began writing to the Roman Church and believers, he made this declaration about both his aim and goal, Romans 1:14-16 (ESV), I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians both to the wise and to the foolish. So, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes." Paul was Locked and Loaded. He had a target group in view and was aiming at/for it. He did so with a sense of obligation, eagerness and freedom from any shame for representing the Gospel to all. What is your personal spiritual aim and goal?

Paul never lost his purpose and zeal in terms of his ministry goals and calling. In a word of testimony and challenge, Philippians 3:13-15 (ESV) indicates, “One thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way.” It reminds me two stanzas from an old Hymn (written by Johnson Oatman, Jr. – 1898) sung so often years ago: Higher Ground. “My heart has no desire to stay Where doubts arise and fears dismay; Though some may dwell where those abound, My prayer, my aim, is higher ground. I want to scale the utmost height And catch a gleam of glory bright; But still I’ll pray till Heaven I’ve found, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.” Refrain – “Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith, on Heaven’s table land, A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.” What is your goal and aim? Are you spiritually locked and loaded to share the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?

The spiritual bane of our day seems to be lethargy and laziness. It has become too easy to be trite and to excuse oneself by uttering: “My get up and go has got up and went.” Where do you think your get up and go has gone? Could it be a deteriorating case of spiritual cataracts? Is this a case where things that were once clearly seen and committed to are no longer in one’s focus? If so, what do you believe is the most logical thing that you can do?  Should you continue with the condition as it now exists or have the correction made so that spiritual vision is restored and focus is returned? 
Proverbs 29:18 (NKJV) reminds us, “Where there is no revelation (vision) the people cast off restraint (and perish); But happy is he who keeps the law.” (MSG) “If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; But when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.” We are also reminded of the vast numbers of people who are to be reached with the Gospel. The prophet Joel was confronted with an increasing reality (Joel 3:14 – NIV), “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision.” There are an estimated 7.6 billion people in the world today. 

Multitudes, multitudes everywhere. Sadly, more than one-third of the world’s population has never heard the Gospel once. Does this stir you in any way so that you share Paul’s sense of obligation, eagerness and lack of any shame as the Gospel is made known? What is the level of your spiritual sensitivity? What can – what will – you do about it personally? Are you locked and loaded when it comes to making known the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.


No comments: