Monday, March 5, 2018

THIS COULD BE YOUR DAY


-->
I Was Just Thinking About – THIS COULD BE YOUR DAY.

We always have to be guarded lest we find ourselves always referencing the past and how things used to be, as well as being too focused on the future and how things might be (either pessimistically or optimistically).

I was meditating on the words of Second Chronicles 16:9 and that which the Lord seeks: “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” These words were of encouragement for me personally and should be for all of God’s people. The Lord cares about you and your priorities. As he mentioned to the Ephesus Church in Revelation 2:4, be concerned about the first love that existed between Him and you! Don’t let it become cold or indifferent or matter-of-fact.

Ironically, as I changed the TV dial and passed by a religious channel, a song written by Bill and Gloria Gaither (1971) regarding This Could Be The Dawning Of That Day included this Lyric:
A parade began at Calvary; The saints of all the ages fill its ranks…
Nothing here holds their allegiance; They're not bound by shackles - Forged of earthly gold;
Since that day they knelt at Calvary - They've been pilgrims ever wandering - 
Just looking for a place to rest their souls…
Oh, this could be the dawning; Of that grand and glorious day;
When the face of Jesus we behold… And this could be the dawning of that day!

About a month ago, a dear and joyful widow experienced a stroke. When visited, she was cheerful and expressed she was ready for heaven and the opportunity to dance once again with her husband. Last Friday, she departed for her eternal home (Her Funeral will be tomorrow – Tuesday). For her, it was an expectation and now it is her reality.

It causes me to wonder how many people who profess faith in Jesus Christ live with that expectation as part of their daily life. Hebrews 9:26-28 (ESV) reminds us of this expectation: “He (Jesus Christ) has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.  And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.” Are you eagerly waiting for Him?

The words of Philippians 1:20-24 also address these words about This Could Be The Dawning Of That Day, Paul wrote: “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.  I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.” Do Paul’s words express your testimony, life and expectation? Is this how you live each day? 

I appreciate the words in a Hymn written by Ralph E. Hudson in 1882. Some of the lyric expresses:
My life, my love I give to Thee, Thou Lamb of God Who died for me;
O may I ever faithful be, My Savior and my God!
Refrain
I’ll live for Him Who died for me, How happy then my life shall be!
I’ll live for Him Who died for me, My Savior and my God!
May this be the song and testimony of your heart today and every day of your life.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: