Tuesday, March 27, 2018

AMAZING GRACE

I Was Just Thinking About – AMAZING GRACE.
The questions have been asked and written about: What Is So Amazing About Amazing Grace? For me, it is summarized in one of the “BUT GOD” declarations in Scripture. Ephesians 2:4-5 (ESV) declares: “BUT GOD, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—BY GRACE you have been saved.” (AMP) words it: “BUT GOD, being [so very] rich in mercy, because of His great and wonderful love with which He loved us, even when we were [spiritually] dead and separated from Him because of our sins, He made us [spiritually] alive together with Christ (for BY HIS GRACE—His undeserved favor and mercy—you have been saved from God’s judgment).” This is what is amazing about Amazing Grace!
The Hymn writers wrote about Amazing Grace. Ask Charles Wesley (1768) what Amazing Grace meant for him when he wrote: And can it be that I should gain; An interest in the Savior’s blood? Died He for me, who caused His pain - For me, who Him to death pursued? Amazing love! How can it be, That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me? That which God’s Grace accomplished in Wesley’s life and words: Long my imprisoned spirit lay, Fast bound in sin and nature’s night; Thine eye diffused a quickening ray - I woke, the dungeon flamed with light; My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
We can also ask John Newton (1769) what Amazing Grace meant for him when he wrote: Amazing grace! How sweet the sound That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see. That which God’s Grace assured in Newton’s life and words: Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, And grace will lead me home.
What is the Amazing Grace message that is to be lived and proclaimed to and by all? Paul summarized it well when he wrote: Titus 2:11-14 (ESV), “For THE GRACE OF GOD has appeared, BRINGING SALVATION for all people, TRAINING US TO RENOUNCE ungodliness and worldly passions, and TO LIVE self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us TO REDEEM US from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are ZEALOUS FOR GOOD WORKS.
As we observe Holy Week 2018, AMAZING GRACE is foundational to all of what God has accomplished in His Son’s death, burial and triumphant resurrection. Remind yourself of the words in Second Timothy 1:8-10, “Do not be ashamed of the testimony ABOUT OUR LORD… WHO SAVED US AND CALLED US to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of HIS OWN PURPOSE AND GRACE, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of OUR SAVIOR CHRIST JESUS, WHO ABOLISHED DEATH AND BROUGHT LIFE AND IMMORTALITY TO LIGHT THROUGH THE GOSPEL.” This is what is Amazing about Amazing Grace.
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: