Saturday, July 28, 2018

REFLECTIONS


I Was Just Thinking About – REFLECTIONS.

I have two friends who have had times of difficulty while having to deal with moments of depression. One is due to stress factors and the other is due to medications used in cancer treatment. It can be a very lonely journey and ancillary factors can enter in at one’s most vulnerable time. I know of one who at his lowest moments (Stage 4 Cancer Diagnoses), when death seemed to be a realistic and imminent possibility, received correspondence, notes and phone calls that contained vitriol rather than words of encouragement.

What should one do when those whom he has trusted seem to be so inconsiderate and insensitive? On a personal basis, I have found several truths that are helpful and encouraging. One of the truisms comes from Pilgrim’s Progress (John Bunyan) and the reality of the slough of despond for Christian and Pliable. 

“Now I saw in my dream that… they drew near to a very miry slough that was in the midst of the plain; and they being heedless, did both fall suddenly into the bog. The name of the slough was Despond. Here, therefore, they wallowed for a time, being grievously bedaubed with the dirt; and Christian, because of the burden that was on his back, began to sink in the mire. Then said Pliable, Ah! neighbor Christian, where are you now? Truly, said Christian, I do not know. At that Pliable began to be offended, and angrily said to his fellow, Is this the happiness you have told me of all this while? Christian was left to tumble in the Slough of Despond alone; but still he endeavored to struggle to that side of the slough that was...next to the wicket gate: which he did, but could not get out, because of the burden that was upon his back. But I beheld, in my dream, that a man came to him whose name was Help, and asked him what he did there? Sir, said Christian, I was bidden to go this way by a man called Evangelist, who directed me also to yonder gate, that I might escape the wrath to come; and as I was going thither, I fell in here. Help asked: But why did you not look for the steps? Christian responded: Fear followed me so hard, that I fled the next way and fell in. Then said help: Give me thy hand. So he gave him his hand, and he drew him out; and set him upon some ground, and bade him go on his way.” 
The Point: Help helped and did not ignore the plight and need of Christian.

Other words that are helpful and encouraging are Scriptural: Psalm 37:24 (NLT), “Put your hope in the Lord. Travel steadily along his path.” Matthew 10:29-31 (NLT), “Not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it…Don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.” Isaiah 40:31 (NIV), “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Psalm 37:7 (MSG), “Quiet down (be calm and restful, relax, wait patiently) before God, be prayerful before him.” Psalm 105:3-4 and First Chronicles 16:10-11 (NKJV), “Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord. Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face evermore!”

Overall, what is the Lord’s word for my friends who are struggling with despondency and moments of depression? What are the Lord's words for me? The answer is Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV), “Fear not! I AM with you! Be not dismayed, for I AM your God. I WILL strengthen you! Yes, I WILL help you!” If there is anything that I have been reminded of these past few months, it is that God is present with me, will never forsake or leave me alone, and will help me through the times when doubts, fears, concern for the future try to blur the reality of the Lord’s presence – even for those who have moments when they feel they are walking in the valley of the shadow of death.

A contemporary worship chorus comes to my mind and encourages me when I trend toward anxious moments and indecision about God's will for my future:
What a mighty God we serve!
Angels bow before Him; 
Heaven and earth adore Him;
What a mighty God we serve!

He holds the winds in His hand; 
And He is the great I am;
He is the bright and morning star; 
And without Him I would fall.
What a mighty God we serve!

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: