Monday, July 23, 2018

BEING ALONE


I Was Just Thinking About – BEING ALONE.

Loneliness can easily be categorized as one of the hazards of life being lived in a busy world. It seems as though people do not have time – or – worse still, do not make time for those who are alone. I think of several souls in care facilities (Nursing Homes) who become part of a routine – but – who are nevertheless lonely. They would love to hear from children, grand-children, friends, past associates – anyone who has been or s linked to who they are and the longing in their heart. A phone call, a brief visit, a card or note – something that would give indication that they have not been forgotten – that they are still relevant and important to people they have known and cared about.

Yesterday, a Hymn that was sung contained a line, “I come to the garden alone.” Today, I read in Our Daily Bread, “The encouragement is that there is no place on earth or in the heavens where we are outside the watchful care of our heavenly Father. Even when we feel alone, God is with us. No matter where we go today, may the awareness of that truth encourage us to choose obedience to His Word and receive comfort—He watches over us.” There are two truths in that statement, one is positive and the other is negative. The negative is: “Even when we feel alone.” In the horizontal life, why should anyone “feel alone”? The positive should be encouraging. In one’s vertical relationship with the Lord, no one is ever alone. Psalm 139:7-12 asks and answers a vital question: “Where can I go to escape your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence?” The Psalmist then chronicles the span of possibilities of places one can go. None of them escapes the presence of the Lord or His watch care over one. One phrase used by the Psalmist – “Your right hand will hold me fast.” – resonates for the child of God. In 1906, a Hymn was composed that emphasizes this great truth:
When I fear my faith will fail, 
Christ will hold me fast;
When the tempter would prevail, He can hold me fast.

I could never keep my hold, He will hold me fast;
For my love is often cold, He must hold me fast.

He’ll not let my soul be lost, Christ will hold me fast;
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.

                                      Refrain:
He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Savior loves me so, He will hold me fast.


This truth in song is also inspired by John 10:27-30 where Jesus said: “My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand.  My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” If you are a Biblical Christian, you are not alone because you are safe and secure in the grasp of God – in the hand of the Triune God. The words of another older Hymn expresses:
On life’s pathway I am never lonely,
My Lord is with me, my Lord divine;
Ever present Guide, I trust Him only
No longer lonely, for He is mine.
                                      Refrain:
No longer lonely, no longer lonely,
For Jesus is the Friend of friends to me;
No longer lonely, no longer lonely,
For Jesus is the Friend of friends to me.

Everyone has moments when they have a sense of loneliness. What can you do to alleviate that sense in others? What can you do to alleviate that sense in yourself? If you contacted a friend, family member or a person who lives alone – that could serve a dual purpose. It would be an encouragement for another individual – and – it can cause you to forget about your own sense of loneliness or unworthiness. Try it – you may find out that you like it and have been benefitted by touching another’s life.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: