Tuesday, July 24, 2018

BEING DOWNCAST


I Was Just Thinking About – BEING DOWNCAST.

Most of us know or know about people who are usually sad, negative about life, lonely, lethargic, despairing – searching for something – but having a sense of emptiness or uselessness. In some cases, there is no sound reason for the way a person is feeling or being observed. In other instances, there is a possible explanation. Being downcast can come upon a person when there is no precursor giving an indication of what is internally taking place and by which one can be prepared.

Without harping on the subject of chemotherapy, there are certain things that can occur emotionally and mentally for which one can be ill-prepared. To be downcast simply means one is dejected in spirit, sad or depressed. If one takes the time to read about “chemo-brain”, there are several symptoms that are possibilities. One of the amazing things is that one’s peers or close friends do not always understand what is causing certain reactions and responses – and – don’t really know what to say. I have a friend who has the uncanny ability to write a note or make a call that lifts my spirit when I feel helpless, useless, unworthy, and no future place for ministry. Early this morning, as I was thinking about a dear man of God for whom I have promised to uphold in prayer, shared last evening that he is ”feeling down.” The note that came to me I think I can appropriately share with this brother in Christ: “Enjoy and learn from your posts. Thank you! Thank you for all you have done for me and your friendship through the years. God bless you and yours!” I don’t know how such a note would impact you, but it caused my spirit to soar.

This morning, I was also reading two Psalms (42 and 43) where the question about being downcast is raised and answered: (42:5) “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why the unease within me? Put your hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the salvation of His presence.” The same question and answer is given in the following Psalm (43:5), “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why the unease within me? Put your hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.” It is good and wise counsel, but not always easy to do when one feels overwhelmed on the one hand, and no longer useful or needed on the other. When this has happened with me, I am so thankful for a godly wife who gently says, “C’mon, Jimmy, you are going to be alright and God is still using you. I am so proud of you…” Wow! Just writing it brings tears to my eyes.

There is a well-known Hymn that includes the following thoughts of hope and encouragement:
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come, Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home, When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He: His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear, And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears; Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise, When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me.

For my downcast friend(s), “Keep on looking to Jesus” (Hebrews 12:2). For my negative acquaintances and friends, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). For my insensitive peers and discouraged colleagues – especially those who feel squeezed out of ministry, be reminded of God’s Word: “Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it” (Psalm 81:10). And – to the reluctant servant Moses, the Lord heard and replied: “What if they won’t believe me or listen to me? What if they say: The Lord never appeared to you? Then the Lord asked him, What is that in your hand? A shepherd’s staff, Moses replied” (Exodus 4). Just a staff that would be used by the Lord to guide His people to their promised land.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: