Sunday, July 1, 2018

ALL-SUFFICIENT GRACE


I Was Just Thinking About – ALL-SUFFICIENT GRACE.

There are times in life when one can feel totally inadequate and incapable of a challenge or responsibility. Over the years of being a Pastor, I have been inclined to defer to one of my colleagues when the opportunity to preach a sermon or administer the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper was asked of me. It was never based upon a false sense of humility. As I ponder it, I believe it was borne out of the sense of Romans 12:3 (NLT) when Paul wrote: “Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.”

This Blog is written on The Lord’s Day, July 01, 2018. The reason for sharing my thoughts is the tremendous obligation there is in proclaiming the Word of God effectively and to the glory of God. Preaching the Word is never to be about the preacher. It must be only and always about the Lord and His love, mercy and grace. It is to be done in a manner that will focus all of the glory to be His. Some preachers love the limelight and applause. They have a style and presentation that appeals to people – and – they respond accordingly. I believe it would be much better if First Corinthians 2:2-5 was one’s motive and ministry style. Paul wrote:
 “I decided to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.  I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.  My message and my preaching were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith would not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.”

What was the basis for his weakness and fear? It may have included his words shared in Second Corinthians 11:24-27 when he wrote:
Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.”

His summum bonum (Latin: the highest good, especially as the ultimate goal according to which values and priorities are established) was expressed in Second Corinthians 12:6-10 (NLT),
“I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message,  even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said: My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.  So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Today, I have taken on the obligation to both preach the Word and to administer  the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. I am fully aware of my personal weakness amid my recovery from Lymphoma. As I’ve thought and prayed about this day, the words of Annie Johnson Flint kept coming to mind - - -
He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will up-bear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me (and continue to pray for me that I might serve the Lord faithfully and well).

No comments: