Tuesday, March 21, 2017

PSYCHOLOGICAL MALFUNCTION

I Was Just Thinking About - Psychological Malfunction.

A politician once voiced about being in Washington, DC, “If you want to have a friend, get a dog!” I suppose this was borne out of several factors such as trust, integrity, dependability and camaraderie. Along this line, in Seminary a professor in Practical Theology Class once indicated to those anticipating becoming a Pastor: “When you get into the Church, you will find that many people are disgustingly human.”

A devotional writer once indicated: “It is disconcerting when realizing how fickle we are in friendships. In honest moments, we could list the people we no longer get in touch with, or the phone calls we don’t return. In life, solid, faithful-to-the-core friendships are few and far between.” As we become older, childhood friends are very few. I am grateful for College and Seminary friends with whom some contact is maintained. One of my dearest friends is Larry. We are from dissimilar denominations and theological persuasion. Geographically, we live in different parts of the country and haven’t seen each other in years. However, I know that if I called Larry today with a need or prayer request, he would immediately stop what he is doing and seek the face of the Lord about that which was shared. 

Over half a century of ministry, I have become keenly aware of varying types of personalities and needs, The disappointments, pain, heartaches, disconnection, loneliness etc. I often think of the practicality of some Hymns. One is by Johnnie Hallet - - -
There’s no disappointment in Jesus, 
He’s all that he promised to be;
His love and His care comfort me everywhere, 
He is no disappointment to me.

Another is by A.A. Ackley- 
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
Go to Him today, Do it now without delay.
Heartaches, take them all to Jesus,
He will take your heartaches all away.

    Part of one’s redemption in Christ and being a Biblical Christian is the deliverance from psychological malfunction. Jesus reminds us in John 15:14-15, “You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants…I have called you friends, because everything I have learned from My Father I have made known to you.” One of the keys to overcoming psychological malfunction is to embrace and implement Philippians 2:5, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.”


Prayerfully - consider these things with me.

No comments: