Saturday, March 4, 2017

OXYMORONS

I Was Just Thinking About – OXYMORONS.

If Biblical Christian living was easy, we would have no pressing need for the constant love of the Father, the faithful advocacy of the Son or the moment by moment presence and guidance of the Holy Spirit. An oxymoron is a rhetorical device in and by which two seeming contradictory words are used together for effect and to gain notice. For instance, one could be referred to as being joyfully sorrowful, or having died being more alive than ever. Sometimes, an oxymoronic statement can be employed as a mnemonic device that is intended to assist one’s memory such as with a verse of formula.

When reading the Holy Scriptures, one is likely to come across an oxymoron and hardly pause to consider what it is or means. When the Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, he indicated: (I Corinthians 1:18, 25) “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God…For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” Paul is sharing his exposition of a truth he has gleaned from Isaiah 29:13-14, “The Lord said: Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men, therefore, behold, I will again do wonderful things with this people,with wonder upon wonder; and the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the discernment of their discerning men shall be hidden.”

One of my favorite Hymns, written by Oswald J. Smith in 1914, is not often sung in most churches. It is, Deeper and Deeper. Several of the lyrics give illustration of an oxymoron as one seeks to maintain a Biblical Christian lifestyle. 
   Into the joy of Jesus Deeper and deeper I go,
   Rising, with soul enraptured, Far from the world below.
   Joy in the place of sorrow, Peace in the midst of pain,
  Jesus will give, Jesus will give; He will uphold and sustain.

Just think of the various instances in your personal life when an oxymoron represented your experience – JOY in the place of SORROW, PEACE in the midst of PAIN.

I believe this was the intention and commitment of Paul when he wrote in Philippians 1:18-21, “I will continue to rejoice, because I know that through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, my distress will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have complete boldness, so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” People focused on the secular will never understand the oxymoronic spiritual understanding of “You meant it for evil but God meant it for good” (Genesis 50:20).

Prayerfully – consider these things with me. 

No comments: