Friday, February 8, 2019

NEGATIVITY


I Was Just Thinking About – NEGATIVITY.


There are particular things for which a person should be negative. It would have served Eve well in the Garden of Eden IF she had said to the serpent and his tempting words – NO! But, she allowed herself the luxury of considering the words she was hearing. Could she actually become more superior than the way she had been created? The voice was saying to her – Yes! The Creator had earlier instructed her and Adam that there was one prohibition they should not violate. Anything contrary to that established prohibition was to receive an emphatic – NO!

In the ministry of Jesus Christ, His disciples would sometimes express doubts and fears. Two illustrations are shared about His post-resurrection appearances. One is John 20:26-27, “Jesus came and stood among them and said: Peace be with you!  Then he said to Thomas: Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. STOP DOUBTING and believe. A second occasion with the disciples is Luke 24:37-39, “They were startled and frightened, thinking they had seen a spirit. Why are you troubled, Jesus asked. Why do DOUBTS arise in your hearts. Look at my hands and feet. It is I – Myself. Touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see Me have.”

C, Austin Miles wrote the encouraging words:
When doubt and fear assail me, 
And bend my spirit low,
I know there is a Savior, To whom I ever can go;
He’s promised to be with me, No matter what betide;
Till some day when he’ll call me 
To sit down at his side.

When I am sorely tempted, 
And know not where to flee,
My Jesus walks beside me, And every step I see;
I see him now, not plainly, Although I feel his might,
But some-day I shall see him, 
When faith is lost in sight.

Is there a way to overcome negativity? The answer is – YES! Two truths that should give us challenge and solace are: Philippians 2:5, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus…” – and – Philippians 4:7, “The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” While this remains one’s focus, challenge, desire and confidence, the negativity will fade into obscurity. It will resurface only IF or WHEN one takes his/her eyes off of Jesus – Who He is and What HE has done for us.

The words that should be present within one’s mind and soul are in the Heidelberg Catechism, question and answer #1: What is your only comfort in life and in death? The reply and resounding words of assurance are: “I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.”

How, then, are we to live for Him? Will difficult and challenging times come? Yes! Will one feel overwhelmed by the pressures of life? Yes! Will one have concerns about personal health and other needs? Yes! Is there any guidance afforded me in God’s Word? Yes! James 5:13 instructs and recommends: “Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them PRAY. Is anyone happy? Let them SING SONGS OF PRAISES.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: