Sunday, February 10, 2019

BEING CONCERNED


I Was Just Thinking About – BEING CONCERNED.

In the ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ, part of His emphasis with the instructions He gave to His disciples and other followers was their need to Be Concerned. His broad outline in the Sermon on the Mount emphasized - - -
Be Concerned regarding maintenance of the correct focus regarding the godly life – The Beatitudes – (Matthew 5) - are a concise statement in this regard.
Be Concerned about maintenance of the correct focus regarding one’s Prayer Life - (Matthew 6).
Be Concerned about maintenance of the correct focus regarding authenticity in life and ministry – (Matthew 7).

In terms of practical matters that are oftentimes taken for granted and frequently ignored, Jesus stated them in Matthew 25. How sensitive is one regarding the real needs and burdens of others. It is crystallized in his discussion about the separation of the sheep and goats. Both the sheep and the goats had the same opportunity of dealing with the difficulties and hardships of others. The sheep, apart from any “to-do” list of artificial spiritual duties JUST DID IT without any ambition or desire for recognition or reward. It was part of their lifestyle to respond to (Matthew 25:35-36): Jesus stated – “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.”

They did not feign innocence or naivety when they asked Jesus, “When did we see You in this state of need?” They doubtlessly could’ve stated, “This is what You instructed we are to be an do.” Jesus responded: “as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me” (Matthew 25:40). 

Those who were set apart as goats pleaded ignorance. Their supposition to Jesus was – IF we had seen YOU with these needs,

we would have responded. Obviously, while they walked along with Jesus, they did so as a religious routine and not as a committed follower of Him and His cause. They failed to observe what was on His heart and will for His followers.

With these things in mind, I am writing with a burden for one whom I have never met (and those of you reading this probably have never met either). All I know is during my darkest moments when I was designated Stage 4, Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, he reached out and ministered to me with words of encouragement and hope. I will forever be grateful to the Lord for Steve S. and his concern for one whom he had heard about. He, himself, had been given the dame diagnoses and been treated for it 5 years previously and was in remission.

However, my friend and encourager has had a follow-up PET Scan recently that has given a preliminary possibility that his cancer has returned. He will know for certain  on Wednesday, February 13, 2019. I wrote him that he would be in my prayers and tears for him. I’m asking that Steve S. will be in your prayers and concern as well. Steve has served the Lord faithfully in behalf of a children’s ministry – children who would otherwise have been abandoned or passed by. 

James 5:13-14 enjoins, “Is anyone among you suffering? Is anyone among you sick? Let him pray.” Will you do this in behalf of Steve S.? May God bless you as you do – and – heal this dear brother in Christ.

Prayerfully – consider – be concerned about these things with me.

No comments: