Friday, January 18, 2019

WHEN STUFF HAPPENS


I Was Just Thinking About – WHEN STUFF HAPPENS.

There are many times when life seems to be going smoothly when the unexpected and unwanted happens. How one reacts to these times depends upon the reality of one’s faith and confidence in God. For those who have drifted away from this foundational and basic value, will experience being caught in a tidal wave of events one is ill-prepared to grapple with the unexpected…
  • A husband, father and religious leader suddenly becomes an accident victim when a high speed driver collides with his car…
  • A family member has suddenly been stricken with a heart attack and the coping mechanism has not been secured for such an event…
  • A young child with Cancer being treated for six years and dying at eight years of age…
  • A person faithfully seeking to do the Lord’s work is incarcerated unjustly, or killed by a native or national group that is ignorant of or opposed to the Gospel…
  • An uncontrollable fire rages – individuals, homes, churches and businesses are suddenly devoured by the flames…
  • STUFF can and will happen…


Some of the things experienced by the unprepared or ill-prepared can be lesser or greater than the above. It is how one reacts that discloses what one truly believes and that upon which a person stands unshaken. The genuine Christian – though tested - will find refuge and strength in the Lord. When calamity strikes, their thoughts will find refuge and hope in a Biblical passage such as Psalm 91:2, {especially verse 2} – “I will say to the Lord: You are my refuge and fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” These are words to which a friend of mine repairs as he faces the uncertainties of Cancer and the possibilities of it returning.

A Hymn that has often come to my mind in uncertain and crisis situations was written by William F. Lloyd in 1824 - - -
My times are in Thy hand; My God, I wish them there;
My life, my friends, my soul I leave Entirely to Thy care.

My times are in Thy hand; Whatever they may be;
Pleasing or painful, dark or bright, As best may seem to Thee.

My times are in Thy hand, I’ll always trust in Thee;
And, after death, at Thy right hand I shall forever be.

Another Hymn that occurs as I reflect on His Grace, Mercy and Will is was written by Horatius Bonar in 1857 - - -
Thy way, not mine, O Lord, However dark it be!
Lead me by Thine own hand, Choose out the path for me.

Not mine, not mine the choice In things or great or small;
Be Thou my guide, my strength My wisdom, and my all.

Daily living by that which one truly believes is the safest and best coping mechanism. I was prodded to remember this by a devotional that had these words as its summary: “People of faith do not substitute words for actions or pious discussion for personal involvement (Charles R. Swindoll).”

I hope and pray that when the unexpected and/or unwanted happens in your life that you will find your hope and confidence in the Lord alone and always.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: