Tuesday, January 1, 2019

IF ONLY


I Was Just Thinking About – IF ONLY.

We have begun a New Year – 2019. Will it be – can it be – a vast improvement over the previous year? A year marked by illness, death, sorrow, uncertainty, diminished sense of value, wondering about God’s perfect plan and will, etc. Is there relevance or value to the adage that states: “As now – so then”? Is that a truism? Does one have to be affected by it?

My own personal issues (conflicts?) have to do with my need to stay closer to The Good Shepherd. The reality is that there is an enemy who is seeking to dominate and control one’s mind and thinking. IF ONLY, I could and would remember that each new day may have to contend with some other devious or subtle attempt of the enemy seeking to have dominance over my mind, emotions and will. A Hymn that is meaningful to me is: Deeper and Deeper, written by Oswald J. Smith. Two of the stanzas that I think of often, but also need to be reminded of are:

Into the will of Jesus,
Deeper and deeper I go,
Praying for grace to follow,
Seeking His way to know;
Bowing in full surrender
Low at His blessed feet,
Bidding Him take, break me and make,
Till I am molded, complete.
And - - -
Into the joy of Jesus
Deeper and deeper I go,
Rising, with soul enraptured,
Far from the world below.
Joy in the place of sorrow,
Peace in the midst of pain,
Jesus will give, Jesus will give;
He will uphold and sustain.

IF ONLY I would take hold of contentment in the midst of confusion; peace in the midst of conflict; joy in times of sorrow and grief; God’s perfect will in my times of uncertainty. It’s what I want and what I need – BUT – the wrestling between the mind=control efforts of the enemy sometimes interfere with my resting(relaxing) in the Lord and waiting patiently for Him (Psalm 37:7) – His will to be revealed, His guidance and His perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3).

IF ONLY, I could and would remember the words of Paul in Ephesians 6:10-20 of WHY the whole armor of God is necessary and effective to my walking in Christ’s triumph and victory. Verse 12 is explicit: “We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” IF ONLY, I would admit to myself that without the WHOLE ARMOR of God, I am vulnerable and unable to defend myself against the fiery darts of the devil (Verse 16). IF ONLY I remembered the words of Daniel’s three friends when facing their fiery trial: “Our God is able to deliver us – and – He will."

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

(Most of these thoughts will be elaborated in a soon to be published book I have written about my personal journey with cancer and the hand of God present with me).


No comments: