Thursday, January 10, 2019

A SPIRITUAL LIFE AND JOURNEY


I Was Just Thinking About – A SPIRITUAL LIFE AND JOURNEY

Many years ago, a Television and Radio broadcast – Encounter – was a ministry vehicle of Dr. Stephen Olford (a man who may have been the last Revivalist with stature in the 20th Century). One of the Hymns often sung before he preached was: Speak Lord, In The Stillness. It made a lasting impression on me as a young man and throughout my life. During ensuing years, these words are often in my heart and on my mind for personal devotional time (also as I continue to do Sermon preparation):

1 Speak, Lord, in the stillness
while I wait on Thee;
hushed my heart to listen
in expectancy.

2 Speak, O blessed Master,
in this quiet hour;
let me see your face, Lord,
feel your touch of power.

3 For the words You speak, Lord,
they are life indeed;
living bread from heaven,
now on my spirit feed!

4 All to You is yielded,
I am not my own;
blissful, glad surrender,
I am yours alone.

5 Fill me with the knowledge
of your glorious will;
all your own good pleasure
in your child fulfill.

It is strange how easily one can begin to characterize a brother or sister in Christ and  become expressive of misconceptions about another's spiritual life and journey. It may not always be with words but one's body language toward others actually  speaks volumes.
IF ONLY time was allotted to fellowship with and get to know and appreciate one another – free from preconceived opinion(s) about the other person. 

Charles Swindoll recently wrote in his Devotional: "Don't  just sit there - Do It...."

IF ONLY "genuine Christians" interacted and behaved Biblically – and - "Genuinely."

Do the words of Philippians 2:3-4 have meaning and application for us today? Do we actually believe: “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others? Do we conscientiously, genuinely and sincerely apply them in a non-discriminate way? This is an area where there is room for much effort and demonstration of this very clear and basic declaration about interpersonal relationships.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.


No comments: