Sunday, September 17, 2017

LONELINESS

I Was Just Thinking About LONELINESS.

In general, when one is younger and with a growing family, life is anything but calm or lonely. There are always various activities and projects that need to be done. It is at such a time that one wistfully thinks about how nice the “empty nest” will be when quiet and order is once again restored. A time when parents can order their own lives and have their own conversations on an adult level that is free from incessant interruptions. 

Charles R. Swindoll writes of this in his devotion for the day – Someday. He wrote: “Yes, someday when the kids are grown, things are going to be a lot different. One by one they'll leave our nest, and the place will begin to resemble order and maybe even a touch of elegance. The clink of china and silver will be heard on occasion. The crackling of the fireplace will echo through the hallway. The phone will be strangely silent. The house will be quiet…and calm…and always clean…and empty…and filled with memories…and lonely…and we won't like that at all. And we'll spend our time not looking forward to Someday but looking back to Yesterday. And thinking: Maybe we can babysit the grandkids and get some life back in this place for a change!”

The heart and mind of God allowed in the Creative Order (Genesis 2:18 - NASB) that: “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” The writer of Hebrews reminded those who are The Body of Jesus Christ – His Church – about a starting place for benevolent care and personal interaction - Hebrews 13:1-3 (NASB),“Let love of the brethren continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body.” A normal behavior is expected to be taking or making necessary time to show concern for or interest in another individual who may be alone or lonely.

It is good to remember that regardless of any human contact, the Lord has promised repeatedly that He always cares and is always with us. I appreciate the words in Psalm 27:10 (NLT), “Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.” The rendering in the ESV is: “The Lord will take me in.”

In 1920, Robert Harkness penned the words to a Hymn that should encourage the lonely person, No Longer Lonely: 

On life’s pathway I am never lonely,
My Lord is with me, my Lord divine;
Ever present Guide, I trust Him only,
No longer lonely, for He is mine.
Refrain:
No longer lonely, no longer lonely,
For Jesus is the Friend of friends to me…
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: