Thursday, January 19, 2017

VULNERABILITY

I Was Just Thinking About – VULNERABILITY.

This coming Sunday, January 22nd, is one of the days of infamy that should not be forgotten. It was on this date in 1973 that the United States Supreme Court by a 7 to 2 majority vote legalized Abortion in this country. The summary of the Court’s action is: “The Court deemed Abortion a fundamental right under the United States Constitution, thereby subjecting all laws attempting to restrict it to the standard of strict scrutiny!” Based on a report by LifeNews.com, as of January 2016, “the National Right to Life now estimates, based on the data from the Guttmacher Institute and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), that the total number of abortions since 1973 has reached 58,586,256.”

David mused about the origin of life and understands it to begin at the time of conception. In Psalm 139:13-16 (NLT), he indicates: “You (The Lord) made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” David not only speaks of the delicacy factor but that of vulnerability as well. 

The mandate and guideline from the Lord - Proverbs 24:10-12,
If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength! Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?

In another place, after he had violated God’s Standard for one’s life, he cried out to the Lord and mentioned the origin of life once again. In Psalm 51:5-6 (NIV), “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.”

Another example of vulnerability occurs in the Life of Samson (Judges 14-16). Even though he had been dedicated to the Lord as a Nazarite and subjected to a strict code of separation (See Numbers 6), his inner lusts took control of his life and choices. In Today in the Word, the commentator shares: “Samson’s story is the longest in the book of Judges, and in the final episode we find a very different Samson from the previous chapters. The mighty warrior is now disabled. He is not invincible but he is vulnerable, having to be led by the hand of a servant boy on account of his blindness. He is not feared but mocked—the laughingstock of teeming crowd of Philistine spectators. He is not powerful but helpless, reduced to one last pleading prayer to the sovereign God of Israel. As the curtains close on his life, the man called by God to deliver Israel is buried under a pile of rubble— victorious and vanquished at the same time” (Judges 16:30).

There are two areas that require one’s attention and action. First, defending the defenseless – the infants in the womb. Second, to exercise greater discipline and obedience to obey God rather than one’s lusts (I John 2:15-17). 

Prayerfully – consider these things with me!

No comments: