Monday, January 9, 2017

REFRACTORY

I Was Just Thinking About – REFRACTORY.

What does Refractory mean? It is something “hard or impossible to manage; stubbornly disobedient.” It caused me to think of the Suffering Servant depiction of how that Servant suffered and why it was necessary. Isaiah 53:5-6 states the following: “He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

The thrust of verse 6 is that the sheep and their being refractory are linked together. Years ago, W. Phillip Keller wrote a book titled, A Shepherd Looks At The Twenty-Third Psalm. Having been a shepherd himself, he addresses two key factors: (1) the nature and curiosity of the sheep that allows them to wander and stray while being totally unaware of either a lurking predator or dangerous terrain; and (2) the observant Shepherd who keeps close, careful and protective watch over his sheep. His sole concern being that they are kept safe and away from danger. 
One thing that he points out is that sheep have a characteristic of being both dumb and persistent. Essentially, they have to learn the hard way what it means to comply with the Shepherd’s care and leading. Will they always respond positively to their Shepherd? No! Will they have to endure the consequences for their dumb and persistent behavior? Yes!

What does that tell us about refractory as it pertains to us? The natural link of Psalm 23 with John 10 is apparent. Our Shepherd, Jesus Christ, has identified Himself as: “I Am the Good Shepherd.” Jesus clearly states in John 10:9-11, “I am the door of the sheep. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture…I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

How should the sheep respond to The Good Shepherd? The care and protection of the Shepherd will be realized by a non-refractory response. John 10:27-30, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” How have you responded to The Good Shepherd?

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: