Wednesday, November 30, 2016

BEING CONFUSED

I Was Just Thinking About – BEING CONFUSED.
If one consulted a Counsellor about his/her personal confusion, the Biblical Counsellor would eventually come to a bottom line resolve for a person: (1) Get Re-focused. Plug into Hebrews 12:2 and “Keep on looking to Jesus, the Author and Completer of your faith.” (2) Make A Commitment to the Author and Completer of your faith. At the very least two areas of this commitment are (a) Luke 10:27, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and (b) Acts 20:24, “But I consider my life of no value to myself, if only I may finish my course and complete the ministry I have received from the Lord Jesus—the ministry of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.” (3) The Commitment will also include something similar to John Wesley’s: “Do all the good you can, By all the means you can, In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can, To all the people you can, As long as ever you can.”
One of the great fellowship opportunities is to communicate with or to read the thoughts of those who are transparent. In some instances, it can bring one to agony of soul and cause tears to flow. I just recently came across a communication of one who described his plight in life with these words: “Yes, I’m confused about life just like everyone else. I get depressed, I struggle and I feel lost too, more often than you probably would imagine. In fact,…I had a bit of a breakdown. That might be an understatement. It was actually quite a significant breakdown. Despite having been traveling for 15 years…nothing made sense to me. I was placing intense personal pressure on myself, I had no answers to anything and every day I woke up with a ‘…I-have-no-idea-what-I’m-doing’ kind of confusion.”
Despite this transparency, his conclusion regarding his personal confusion would not ordinarily be the desired resolve. “Let me say this….don’t worry about the confusion you are feeling. Don’t worry about feeling lost and having no idea what to do in life… Maybe you wanted to quit your job and head in a new direction but you weren’t sure what to do…Perhaps you just don’t know how to take the first step towards your goals and you’re worried that you’ll never achieve what you really want to achieve in the end. Again, don’t worry about these things. Worry about who you are right now instead. That’s where it starts. Understand what kind of person you want to be as you move through this world, what you believe in, how you want to treat others and what is important to you. Once you figure this out, the rest will come and you’ll be able to handle any periods of confusion, fear, uncertainty or whatever you must face along the way…” Obviously, he has missed the intent and purpose of Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT), “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.” It would also be invaluable to remember the words of both Jeremiah 29:11 and Romans 8:28.
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: