Saturday, July 7, 2012

HEAVEN HODGE-PODGE


From My Perspective - - -

On Friday Evening, July 6th, 2012, Barbara Walters hosted a 20/20 Special on the subject of Heaven. The lead-in stated: “Barbara Walters explores what heaven means with leaders of every faith.” In an Online Survey during and after the telecast, the question was asked: Do you believe in Heaven? The responses are: No – like Stephen Hawkings, I believe it is just a fairy tale – 1572; Yes – I believe Heaven exists – 1301. The results are a bit surprising and disappointing. Many of the responses were whimsical and wistful, whereas others were very predictable. One can easily conclude that the “Church of Jesus Christ” as it is seen and known by today’s culture has (a) lost its focus, (b) has not proclaimed its central message adequately, and is not preparing those who are listening for eternity. Is that statement an indictment against “The Church”? Yes, indeed.

No one that I heard on the telecast came close to giving a Biblical focus regarding the reality of Heaven and Hell. A great deal was spent on what people think about Heaven and not what the Word of God declares about Heaven. There are three passages (among many) that gives one a glimpse of what Heaven is and what is occurring there.

Passage One:  Isaiah 6:1-5 – In a vision, Isaiah reports what he has witnessed: “I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory. At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. Woe to me! I cried. I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty." Isaiah sees a holy place where the Lord Almighty reigns and where men with good sense realize they are unworthy to be in His presence.

Passage Two:  Acts 7:54-60 – After he had delivered a scathing indictment against the hypocrisy and error of the Sanhedrin, we read: “ When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. Look, he said, I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God. At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him…While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. Then he fell on his knees and cried out, Lord, do not hold this sin against them. When he had said this, he fell asleep – he died.” Stephen saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. Jesus standing in eager expectation to receive one of His faithful ones to Himself.

Passage Three: John 14:1-3 – Jesus is preparing His disciples for His departure and tells them where He is going and what He’ll be doing – “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” Jesus states: (1) He is preparing a place for His followers, and (2) He promises that He’ll return to take them to that prepared place – Heaven. He also states in John 14:6 the only way and means for getting into His Heaven – “Jesus answered: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

There is only one way into God’s Heaven and that is through Jesus Christ. If He is not your Savior and Lord, then you are not getting into His Heaven. That’s what He said and that’s what He means. Have you come to Him on the basis of Romans 10:9-10? Consider these things with me!

1 comment:

Beacon2Light said...

Thank you for posting this and alerting us to the special on heaven. It is a shame when the world takes in all kinds of opinions but fails to take in the real one. But then again, that isn't their job, it is ours as you said.