Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quintessentially Unemployed

From My Perspective - - -

With the unemployment figures hovering near the 10% level, several would be quintessentially unemployed. The idea of “Quintessential” is: “the pure and concentrated essence of a substance; the most perfect embodiment of something.” The Thesaurus gives a simple Definition: “Model”! It also list synonyms: “classic, ideal, typical, ultimate.” While Unemployment (and other ancillary conditions) is nothing to joke about, we should not lose our sense of humor in the tragic times through which one must pass. In that regard, someone has suggested the following review of Job Skills (or lack of same) when considering whatever employment opportunities become available, and what to factor into a Job Resume.
• My first job was working in an orange juice factory, but I got canned because I couldn't concentrate.
• Then I worked in the woods as a lumberjack, but I just couldn't hack it, so they gave me the ax.
• After that I tried to be a tailor, but I just wasn't suited for it, mainly because it was a so-so job.
• Next I tried working in a muffler factory but that was too exhausting.
• I attempted to be a deli worker, but any way I sliced it, I couldn't cut the mustard.
• My best job was being a musician, but eventually I found I wasn't noteworthy.
• I studied a long time to become a doctor, but I didn't have any patience.
• I became a professional fisherman, but discovered that I couldn't live on my net income.
• I managed to get a good job working for a pool maintenance company, but the work was just too draining.
• I got a job at a zoo feeding giraffes, but I was fired because I wasn't up to it.
• After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a historian until I realized there was no future in it.
• My last job was working at Starbucks, but I had to quit because it was always the same old grind.
• So, then I retired - - - And found out I was perfect for the job!

Unemployment is a serious issue in our nation. For the week ending June 12th, 2010 – the following report was given: “Experts were shocked again today with the figures for the week ending June 12. The advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 472,000, an increase of 12,000 from the previous week’s revised figure of 460,000. The 4-week moving average was 463,500, a decrease of 500 from the previous week’s revised average of 464,000. Experts had expected the number to drop to 450,000. The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending June 5 was 4,571,000, an increase of 88,000 from the preceding week’s revised level of 4,483,000. The 4-week moving average was 4,601,500, a decrease of 21,250 from the preceding week’s revised average of 4,622,750.” Someone calculated that if we began in July 2010 to add 200,000 people to the employment rolls each month, it would take more than a decade – 10 years – before we could return to the pre-recession level of full employment. That is both drastic and tragic, and suggests desperate and difficult times ahead!

The Bible speaks of desperate times and great hunger as the result of famine and places being besieged by an enemy. One such instance is II Kings 6:24-33 where we read: “…Ben-hadad king of Syria mustered his entire army and went up and besieged Samaria. And there was a great famine in Samaria, as they besieged it…” The hunger became so severe that people began to eat their children! In II Kings 7, God works a miracle for his people. Four Lepers who were outside the gate decided to go to the camp of the enemy to see if they would supply them with some food. As they near the camp, Syria thinks an army is on its way and they flee – leaving everything behind in their camp. The four lepers race from tent to tent and consume and gather everything they can. In II Kings 7:9 the Lepers “…said to one another, We are not doing right. This day is a day of good news. If we are silent and wait until the morning light, punishment will overtake us. Now therefore come; let us go and tell the king's household." The Lord provided for the besieged city where desperation prevailed and hope had faded. Matthew 24 and 25 also reference desperate and difficult times in the future leading up to the final judgment. Are we at that threshold? Were the riots at the G-20 meeting a sign of what is to come? Be ready! Consider these things with me!

No comments: