Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wandering Sheep

From My Perspective - - -


A Hymn written by Horatius Bonar in 1843 describes beautifully the state of lost and wandering sheep… It reminds one of Isaiah 53:6, “all of us, like sheep, have gone astray; we have turned to our own way…”


I was a wandering sheep, I did not love the fold;
I did not love my Shepherd’s voice, I would not be controlled.
I was a wayward child, I did not love my home;
I did not love my Father’s voice, I loved afar to roam.


Thankfully, there is One Who came to be The Shepherd Who would seek for His sheep. The Scriptures paint a very beautiful picture for us. Psalm 23:1, “The Lord is my Shepherd...” and John 10:11 where Jesus states: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep…”


The Shepherd sought His sheep, The Father sought His child;
They followed me o’er vale and hill, O’er deserts waste and wild;
They found me nigh to death, Famished and faint and lone;
They bound me with the bands of love, They saved the wand’ring one.


Sometimes a sheep will wander far from the fold. The lamb/sheep are so vulnerable and fragile (and a little bit dumb). They believe they can go places that are neither wise nor safe for them. Sometimes there are wounds and pain…


They spoke in tender love, They raised my drooping head,
They gently closed my bleeding wounds, My fainting soul they fed;
They washed my filth away, They made me clean and fair;
They brought me to my home in peace, The long sought wanderer.


In Luke 15:3-6, “Jesus told them this parable: Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home.”


Jesus my Shepherd is: ’Twas He that loved my soul;

’Twas He that washed me in His blood, ’Twas He that made me whole.
’Twas He that sought the lost, That found the wand’ring sheep,
’Twas He that brought me to the fold, ’Tis He that still doth keep.


In Luke 15, Jesus is telling His disciples about valuables that become lost – the lost sheep; the lost coin; the lost son - and the effort that is put forth to find those valuables. Sometimes it will take a while before the lost is found, but perseverance and patience and awareness must be constant. Like the father of the prodigal son, one must faithfully and earnestly keep looking down the road for the son to return. It is said of the Prodigal – “When he came to his senses” – he began his long journey home. Many voices may have been inwardly trying to discourage him – but – he did come home. And when he did, he had a new perspective and commitment - - -


No more a wandering sheep, I love to be controlled;
I love my tender Shepherd’s voice, I love the peaceful fold.
No more a wayward child, I seek no more to roam;
I love my heavenly Father’s voice, I love, I love His home!


Keep looking faithfully for your lost and wandering sheep/lamb… One day there will be rejoicing when that lost and wandering sheep/lamb returns to the fold – comes to his/her senses and returns home - no more to roam! May God grant that it be soon!


Think about this with me - - -

No comments: