Monday, October 14, 2019

STUMBLING


I Was Just Thinking About – STUMBLING.

Stumbling is understood to mean: to walk or go unsteadily. One can step on a rock or suddenly twist an ankle and stumbling or a fall takes place. Usually, a person can regain a steady gait but there are times, albeit a bit embarrassing, a person can fall. For the older adult, bones can become fractured and require medical attention. Stumbling can also occur in speech. A person who lacks sufficient knowledge on a subject may stumble by giving inaccurate information.

I am challenged and encouraged by the Scriptural reference to stumbling. A more familiar passage that references running a race is Isaiah 40:28-31 (NLT). The words that catch my attention are those in verses 29-31(a), “(The Lord) gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and YOUNG MEN STUMBLE AND FALL; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.” The picture given is that those who may have stumbled and/or fallen have gotten back up and continue the race to its conclusion.

An additional passage that gives challenge and encouragement is Proverbs 24:15-16 (MSG), “Don’t interfere with good people’s lives; don’t try to get the best of them. No matter how many times you trip them up, God-loyal people don’t stay down long; Soon they’re up on their feet, while the wicked end up flat on their faces.” In the NLT, “Don’t wait in ambush at the home of the godly, and don’t raid the house where the godly live. The godly may trip seven times, but they will get up again.”

Sadly, even among those who profess to be “Christian”, there are those who take glee if another “professing Christian” stumbles or falls. Rather than assisting one to regain his/her footing, they don’t assist and may even laugh at the other’s moment of calamity. This can and does happen within one’s peer group. Jealousy, envy or general disdain toward another are part of the DNA of those who would quickly judge and/or take advantage of another’s plight.

The Pulpit Commentary states in reference to Job 22:29 – When men are cast down, then you shall say, there is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person; “There is no Christian duty so obligatory as that of following our Lord in his greatest work - that of seeking and saving the lost. Whether it be sin or sorrow that has east one of our brothers down, his very distress, apart from all questions of merit or attraction, calls upon us to aid him.”

I find comfort and encouragement in the words of Psalm 37:23-24 (NIV), “The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.” When I first began Chemotherapy and follow-up with Steroids, I suddenly lost my footing and fell and was unconscious. I was unable to get myself up and my wife tried but was also unable. She called the local Police and two Officers came almost immediately, lifted me up, and made certain I was in a secure place.

Sadly, I don’t know of too many professing Christian people who would not have responded so promptly and caringly. It has become too easy to respond  with “I’ll pray for you” while one is needing a helping and caring hand. Since my treatments, I still have infrequent moments where I am unsteady and stumble (but haven’t fallen). Despite those moments, I am grateful for the Lord’s promises and renewal of strength for each new day.

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.

No comments: