Friday, October 4, 2019

DARKNESS


Just A Thought To Think About – DARKNESS.

Some things are difficult to grasp and understand. When one is called into ministry and stumbles along the way, it is too easy to be critical rather than to reach out and steady him. Inadvertently, a colleague in ministry stumbled and kept on stumbling. Those with oversight defrocked him from ministry – but he continued to stumble. Because of his downward slide, his wife found it necessary to divorce him – but he kept on stumbling. He relocated to another city and became a public-school teacher – but he kept on stumbling = his teaching contract was not renewed and he was arrested twice with more than ten felony counts – but his stumbling continued. UNTIL – this past Wednesday night when he had traveled to New Orleans and made a very negative choice to stumble no more - and – at age 47 – terminated his life.

It is all the more sad because he was so gifted and could’ve changed course and gotten back on track. My inner hope was that he would remember the words of a Hymn written in 1834 –
When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

And – prayed Psalm 51:1-2, 10-12
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!...
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Our adversary is likened to a roaring lion seeking someone to devour (First Peter 5:8). It is only by God’s Grace and the protection that is available in the hollow of His hand that prevents us from stumbling and falling.

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.

No comments: