Thursday, November 22, 2018

PERSONAL REFELCTIONS


I Was Just Thinking About – PERSONAL REFLECTIONS.

Andrae Crouch wrote a testimony song years ago – My Tribute - that asked: How can I say thanks for the things He has done for me…?” This Thanksgiving is a very special time of reflection – so much different from a year ago. In November 2017, I had begun to have difficulty swallowing, speaking and breathing. After four incorrect diagnoses, it was determined that my condition was quite serious and after testing that I had Stage 4, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Because of its location, the first Doctor indicated it might require removal of my “tongue and sound box” to bring about any possibility of remedy. I readily indicated that suggestion was out of the question and I would not consent to it.

Meanwhile, we had been involved with (Keaton Barron) our Great Grandson’s issues with Leukemia. We had been making plans to fly out and be with him and the family – but – I was unable to proceed with that desire and plan. As you know, despite the treatments and Keaton’s positive acceptance of these treatments, his life ended on May 11th 2018 shortly after his eighth birthday.

How should one cope with the issues of life as they unfold – Keaton with Leukemia and his Great Grandfather with Lymphoma. Some of the words that recurred with me are in a Hymn written by W.F. Lloyd in 1824…
My times are in thy hand;
my God, I wish them there;
my life, my friends, my soul,
I leave entirely to thy care.



My times are in thy hand,
whatever they may be;
pleasing or painful, dark or bright,
as best may seem to thee.



My times are in thy hand;
why should I doubt or fear?
My Father's hand will never cause
his child a needless tear.

Some of the Scripture verses that occurred with me included: “As your days, so shall your strength be…” (Deuteronomy 33:25); “I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and Fortress, my God in Whom I can (will) trust” (Psalm 91:2); and a phrase from Jeremiah 29:11, “I know the plans I have for you – plans for your good and not harm – that you may have a future and a hope.” There were also words from a favorite worship chorus written by Don Moen that kept coming to my weary mind…
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way, He will make a way.

By God’s Grace Alone, the Lord has spared my life for another year; He has allowed me to return to preach His Word on a regular basis; He is granting me His strength for each new day. How Can I Say Thanks – adequately, loudly enough to acknowledge Him and Thank Him. In June 2018, after being the recipient of chemotherapy for six months and being scanned, the Doctor joyously told me that as best he could determine – the result was that I was in “Remission”! Of course, there is a Maintenance follow up for two years.

I would be very remiss if I failed to thank all of you, many who I have not met, who prayed faithfully and regularly throughout this year. Not only am I grateful for your upholding me before God’s throne of grace and mercy, I ask that you would continue to uphold me in your prayer(s). I want to serve the Lord faithfully and wholeheartedly all my days.

Thank you – and prayerfully – consider these things with me.


No comments: