Sunday, September 30, 2018

ASSUMPTION


I Was Just Thinking About – ASSUMPTION.

The common meaning for the word assumption is: “The act of taking something for granted or something that is already taken for granted.” In a unique way, as the nation weaves its way through the “Me, Too” generation and movement, we are finding that an accusation is now considered to be a fact, and innocence must provide evidence to the contrary. In other words, our culture has redefined itself in such a way that it assumes something to be a fact even though there is no corroborating evidence to prove it.

Sadly, this is also true across Christendom today. There is an ongoing assumption that everyone about whom we care is a “Christian” whether or not there is any substantiation by a credible profession of faith or a transformed life and lifestyle. Everyone who embraces this concept should make it a point to read and digest all of what is contained in First John. Chapter One would inform one about the reality of sin and the need for it to be confessed. Read and reflect upon verses 5 through 10 and determine where your life is and how it relates to these words.

By the same token, one’s testimony should square with God’s testimony in First John 5:8-13, “God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son.  Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.  And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” 

One’s life must be measured by God’s Word BEFORE anyone should make an assumption about eternal life as it pertains to another person. The manner in which one lives his or her life is determinative in this regard. One of the churches I attended as a youth had an interesting ritual that has pasted into the Hymnal. Every Communion Service, that ritual was recited (or read) by those in attendance. All would do well to carefully read through Romans 12 and I Corinthians 13, The Pastor would pointedly ask: “Is this how your life is being lived? Can you take part of the Lord’s Supper worthily? Is there anything you need to confess or get right with the Lord and/or another person?”

Later today, and again next Lord’s Day, I will be participating in a Communion Service. I reviewed these passages once again early this morning in preparation for the Communion Service. I wonder – how many assume they are entitled to participate – worthily or unworthily – in this important moment in their life. Could it be that some are assuming as fact something for which there is little or no evidence? I also wonder, how many have taken time to meditate upon and prayerfully reflect upon the words of Scripture that exhort one to examine himself/herself BEFORE participating in The Lord’s Supper (First  Corinthians 11:28-29). This should be a primary consideration for anyone before any Communion Service. God is serious about this matter – are we?

May the words of Second Corinthians 5:14-21 be the valid testimony of your heart, soul and life. AND - may the words of Maud Fraser (1891) be the song of your soul today…
I belong to Jesus; I am not my own;
All I have and all I am, Shall be His alone.

I belong to Jesus; He is Lord and King,
Reigning in my inmost heart, Over everything.

I belong to Jesus; He has died for me;
I am His and He is mine, Through eternity.

Prayerfully – consider these words with me.

No comments: