Monday, August 13, 2018

OMNISCIENCE


I Was Just Thinking About – OMNISCIENCE.

A simple definition of omniscience is: “everything is known.” It is a term always associated with the Triune God alone. God knows everything that is known from before all time and through eternity. Several books and religious articles have explored the question: What Does God Know And When Does He Know It? While these are interesting writings, the Word of God is the most reliable commentary for the question. Psalm 147:4-5 tells us about the Lord: “He determines the number of the stars; He calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit.” The phrase to be emphasized is: “His (God’s) understanding has no limit.”

In Psalm 139:1-6 (NLT), a comprehensive view of God is shared from the Psalmist’s heart, mind and soul: “O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord…Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!” God knows every detail of my life always.

Much of religious programming on television could be viewed as a vast wasteland. Many of the religious channels feature emotional and  charismatic programs. However, every once in a while a program appears that can touch one’s heart. Yesterday, one such sermon was based upon Psalm 139. The speaker is articulate (even though he reads a lot of what he says and communicates). Yesterday, there was a moment when the script suddenly was paused and an unplanned personal emotion occurred. Why? The Pastor/Preacher read verses 16-18 (NLT), “You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!” His voice cracked and he spoke slowly and softly as he read and reread – “How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!”

When considering God’s thoughts about “me” and one’s thought-life, Paul admonished the believers, Second Corinthians 10:4-5, “The weapons of our warfare are not the weapons of the world. Instead, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We tear down arguments, and every presumption set up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” The emphasis in the last phrase is: “we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” Be mindful that the words “every thought” means with any exception at any time.

The Psalmist was concerned and clear when he prayed, Psalm 139:23-24 (NLT), “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.” What did the Psalmist ask God to test? He prayed: “test me and know my anxious thoughts.” Test my anxieties about the routines and necessities of life. Test and determine whether or not I have Your priorities as my priorities. Test my thoughts about the times when my mind drifts to things other than You and Your will for me. Convict me and convince me so that the reality of my life will be Psalm 19:14, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” Words and meditations are to be always pleasing to the Lord, the Redeemer.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I am known and loved! Have been since before the world was created! What wonderful truth!