Monday, August 6, 2018

FRIENDSHIP


I Was Just Thinking About – FRIENDSHIP.

I love being in a Worship Service where the Sermon makes one think. This was the case yesterday when the sermon was on the subject of Loneliness and the life of Jesus Christ. We seldom pause to think about the decision of the Godhead that agreed Jesus Christ would set aside all of the privileges and glory of heaven and come to this earth to be the once-for-all sacrifice for the sins of the world. Jesus never set aside His perfection but became part of an imperfect family and culture. We know little or nothing about His childhood until he reaches age 12 and strays from His early family’s entourage so He could communicate with those in the temple. Was he being an obedient child at that point? Was He being precocious and presumptive by His effort to teach those assembled in the Temple? Would His earthly parents be pleased with His commitment and abilities?

The account is given in Luke 2:41-52. After a day’s journey, Joseph and Mary return to Jerusalem looking for Jesus. Mary’s reaction to Him is given in verses 48-50, “When His parents saw Him, they were astonished. Child, why have You done this to us? His mother asked. Your father and I have been anxiously searching for You. Why were you looking for Me? He asked. Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house? But they did not understand the statement He was making to them.” What would they do with Jesus? Discipline Him? Tether Him to their donkey to prevent His straying away again? How would Jesus respond to the comments of Mary? The response of and about Jesus is given in verses 51-52, “He went down to Nazareth with them and was subject to them. But His mother treasured up all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”

At this point, do you wonder how His siblings must’ve felt about this perfect child and what He had done? What about other family members? Would they think Mary and Joseph were “spoiling” their special child? Would they be critical or jealous, or both? What about friendships? Did Jesus have any friends that were noteworthy?

After Jesus begins His formal ministry at age 30, He calls particular men to follow Him (as a Master; Teacher; Rabbi) and He would change their lives and focus as He discipled them to duplicate His ministry in the world. At this point, did any of the disciples view themselves as friends of Jesus? Jesus makes an important transformational statement to His disciples in John 15:15, “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because everything I have learned from My Father I have made known to you.” Would they embrace Jesus as a personal friend? They may have wanted to but when the opposition to Jesus intensified and imminent death was the issue, one reads about betrayal, denial, doubt, and fleeing from Him. When friends could’ve been supportive and identified with Him, they were nowhere to be found. He was alone.

During the sermon heard yesterday, the Pastor asked about how one would define loneliness to the measure and degree that Jesus experienced. In terms of loneliness, the words written in an anthem by Don Wyrtzen (1971), Finally Home, some of the lyric states: 
"When engulfed by the terror of tempestuous seas,  unknown waves before you roam.  At the end of doubt and peril is eternity, though fear and conflict seize your soul…When surrounded by the blackness of the darkest night, oh how lonely death can be…" 
The prospect of death can leave one with a sense of aloneness – leaving loved ones, family and crossing into eternity. 
A hymn, written by J. Wilbur Chapman (1910) also came to mind:
"Jesus! what a friend for sinners! Jesus! lover of my soul; Friends may fail me, foes assail me, He, my Savior, makes me whole."

As one thinks about the ebb and flow of life, true friendships are difficult to have and maintain. A Hymn that addresses this indicates a reality one may experience: 
"Earthly friends may prove untrue; Doubts and fears assail; One still loves and cares for you  - Jesus never fails."
Proverbs 18:24 reminds us, “…there is a friend who stays closer than a brother.” One can be encouraged by the words:  "Jesus is all the world to me, My life, my joy, my all; He is my strength…He’s my friend."

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Jim and Peg. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know about you and your interest in serving the Lord Jesus Christ for last 60 yrs. I am also blessed to know your journey together for almost 62yrs. Wow how blessed you are . I am also blessed by your post on friendship. I did come across your blog post earlier but do not know whether I have commented on your earlier post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your grand children who are grown up to come to MUMBAI TO work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you, your extended family and the ministry you do still. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.