Wednesday, November 15, 2017

DESTRUCTION OF THE FOUNDATIONS

I was just thinking about – DESTRUCTION OF THE FOUNDATIONS.

David expressed in Psalm 11:3 (NIV), “When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?” In the last two generations, we have witnessed the erosion of foundational principles and a trend away from moral values. The culture was in the process of becoming more desirable and allowing greater personal freedoms than those once embraced by the nation. There were some obvious indicators. The Church seemed to be caught flat-footed and was not very effective when Prayer and Bible Reading became off-limits in the Public Schools. Soon there was the debate and enactment of a Law that allowed for abortion on demand. While there were some voices of protest, they were gradually dismissed. Since then, approximately 70 million fetuses (children) have been aborted or otherwise destroyed.

On November 29, 2007, I posted a blog on Fractured Foundations. I wrote: “Jesus gave warning about Foundations and their importance in The Sermon on the Mount. He indicated that the foolish man fails to calculate the risk, danger and folly in erecting a building on the shifting sand. By the same token, he speaks of the wise man who minimizes the risk and danger factors by wisely choosing a rock - a solid foundation. The point is obvious - there will be tests and winds of adversity; there will be storms and waves that will pound upon one's structure. How it survives all of this depends on the Foundation.

Some Hymn writers captured the significance of this in terms of the Holy Scriptures when they wrote....
How Firm A Foundation, Ye Saints of the Lord - Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word, and - The Bible Stands Like A Rock Undaunted - 'mid the raging storms of time.

A friend had copied the following and shared it with me: How Should I/Do I Approach the Bible?
Think of it carefully; Study it prayerfully! 
Deep in your heart let its oracles dwell! 
Ponder its mystery; Slight not its history. 
For none ever loved it too fondly or well!

In Get More Strength for the Journey posted today were these thoughts: “The psalmist David described God’s Word: How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth (Psalm 119:103)! If we’re honest, our attitude doesn’t usually match up to David’s. Can we really say that God’s Word is sweet or, for that matter, sweeter than honey? Usually it’s more like: Oh, I guess it’s good for me, so I have to read it. When we engage the Bible with that attitude, it’s no wonder that it seems like a bland, flavorless experience. So, let’s start reading the Word expecting to have a meaningful, personal encounter with God. I need to read until I hear Him speak in a way that reaches to the core of me. I need to keep reading until my soul, heart, and mind have been revitalized.”

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.




No comments: