Wednesday, November 22, 2017

BEING AFRAID

I Was Just Thinking About – BEING AFRAID.

Many people innately have fears of one sort or another. For instance, most children demonstrate fear of the darkness. Most people are apprehensive about the unknowns. Having to go to a new place or new environment can include an aspect of being afraid. I often think of the missionaries in remote places of this world. They are sent to learn unknown languages and different cultures so the Gospel can be made known. When doing so, there are tribal customs that can pose some level of danger – and yet – they go with a sense of mission and purpose.

It would be good to know the full circumstances of David when he reflected on his life and where he was at the moment when the words recorded in Psalm 23 flowed from his heart, soul and mind as he penned the very helpful words recorded there. As a shepherd himself in his youth, it’s easy to understand how the Psalm begins: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.” Or as a paraphraser interpreted it: “Because the Lord is my shepherd, I have everything that I need.” But then, David introduces the thought (Vs. 4): “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the Lord is with me.” The NLT paraphrases this verse: “Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.”

One of the favorite songs that was often requested by a child during our Sunday Evening Service was written by Amy Grant and based upon Psalm 119:105,
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
When I feel afraid,
Think I've lost my way,
Still you're there right beside me.
And nothing will I fear
As long as you are near.
Please be near me to the end.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
To know and believe these words should result in great comfort and confidence. To remember to implement them in one’s personal experiences with the uncertainties that come, should result in peace and contentment.

Jesus cut to the core of one’s thinking and fears when He said to His disciples who were desperate and filled with panic during a violent storm, Mark:4:35-41, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith? And they were filled with great fear and said to one another: Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” Do you wonder what He would say to you and me personally as our fears about the uncertain cause us to have a sense of desperation and panic? Read what He said to His disciples for your definitive answer.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.




No comments: