Wednesday, April 26, 2017

THE UNEXPECTED


I Was Just Thinking About – THE UNEXPECTED.

The definition for the word unexpected is very brief: “surprising” and “unforeseen.” The Thesaurus adds: “abrupt, startling, sudden, unforeseen, unanticipated, swift.” Our lives are lived each day as a series of connected moments. In the midst of those moments, the unexpected and unwanted may become one’s reality. This is how it was yesterday afternoon. I had been working on a Worship Service and Sermon for a Homecoming Service this coming Lord’s Day. The Sermon will be on the theme: “Our Ongoing Journey of Faith” based upon Isaiah 43. 

The telephone rang and the voice on the other end said: “We’ve been in a wreck. The car is totaled. We are alright. Can you come and get us?” Tuesday is the Bowling Day for a group of ladies. The four of them had completed lunch and were driving to return home when this accident occurred. Their car had been hit and flipped on its side. As I drove to the Fire Station 30 miles away, some of the words that had been said to me kept resonating in my mind and prayers: “Peggy is alright. They had to free her from her Seat Belt. The rescue squad had to remove the windshield of the car and remove her that way.” She had hung in that seat belt for longer than ten minutes. The unexpected and unwanted had occurred. The car that caused the accident left the scene. By the grace of God, there was no major injury sustained by anyone. Peggy was taken to the ER and all the Scans and Tests were conducted, and other than soreness, no ribs or bones were fractured.

It was an emotional trip as I drove to get these ladies. Part of the sermon text kept passing through my thoughts and prayers (Isaiah 43:1-7, NLT): “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One…Do not be afraid, for I am with you.” When I started my computer this morning, the words of Isaiah 49:15-16 (ESV) opened on the screen: “I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” What great words of assurance and reassurance from the faithful God who watches over his own!

An old Hymn was also passing through my thoughts and prayers. It was written by William Freeman Lloyd (1791-1853): “Our times are in Thy hand; O God, we wish them there; Our lives, our souls, our all we leave Entirely to Thy care.” Other stanzas include: “Our times are in Thy hand…Pleasing or painful, dark or bright, As best may seem to Thee… Why should we doubt or fear? A Father’s hand will never cause His child a needless tear.” For our Lord, there is never the unexpected moment! He holds His own in His hand! His care is constant! He never fails!

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: