Saturday, February 4, 2017

CHANGES

I Was Just Thinking About – CHANGES.

The Devotional for today in Get More Strength For The Journey by Joseph Stowell where he wrote about, The More Things Change.” The following is a portion of what he wrote:

Being an unrepentant cheerleader for change, there are some changes that challenge my comfort zone. I find myself troubled by the changes in the moral foundations of our nation. Changes in attitudes about Jesus and His claims bother me. Changes in perspectives on marriage, sexuality, and modesty no doubt bother you as well. And it’s not only what is happening “out there,” I feel unsettled about the fact that many Christians have seemingly lost their zeal for pure and holy lives. And while I feel that it’s right to be bothered by these changes, being against them always makes me feel seriously out of step. I feel like people write me off as being too retro, leaning slightly to the right of Attila the Hun. Let’s face it, holding our ground against popular cultural change can be very intimidating.

“So, what should we do when so many things that we cherish seem headed for the dumpster? In Psalm 11:1-7, David asks the same question when he says, “When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?” (Psalm 11:3). He goes on to resolve our dilemma by affirming three important things about God.

First, he reminds us that “the Lord is in His holy temple.” God’s continuing presence in His holy temple assures us that His moral standards are not based on opinion polls, current trends, or popular perspectives. His holiness is unthreatened by an unholy world. And, in the end, His holiness will be the standard against which every thought and popular opinion will be judged.

Secondly, David remembers that “the Lord is on His heavenly throne.” God rules! Changing things here does not change His reign as the eternal King, nor does it threaten to dethrone Him for a trendier god. His righteous authority will be in place long after our world’s fleeting perspectives have gone up in smoke.

And, lastly, our text reminds us that “He observes the sons of men; His eyes examine them.” Knowing that a holy King is very much aware of all that is going on is either a scary thought or a confidence-building reality. It’s a scary thought if I have been in any way a part of a rebellion against God’s righteous ways. But as I live to affirm His ways, it builds my confidence to know that as I stand with Him—regardless of the pressure—He is watching over me.”

I was blest and encouraged by the above – I hope you will be also!

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.
-->

No comments: