Saturday, May 24, 2014

FORGETTING TO REMEMBER

From My Perspective - - - 

Each day that passes gives one pause in terms of the onrush of certain realities and truths: (1) the rapid changing of events and circumstances; (2) the craftiness of devious people in the world; (3) the changing culture that is seemingly bent on a self-destructive course; (4) the jettisoning of moral values and foundational principles; (5) a growing decadence within society; (6) the loss of focus upon the need for God and religion; (7) the growing divide regarding racial and ethnic issues; and (8) a growing pleasure-orientation that has removed any semblance of restraint or discipline. Obviously, these suggestions do not even begin to scratch the surface of where the culture and society has both gone and is heading.

While the above list could be considerably longer, it seems there are at least two major areas that are impacting our nation and population: (1) those things we are choosing to ignore and (2) the choices being made that are illogical and abysmal. A saying that is more hackneyed than it should be is: “those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.” It appears there is a deliberate choice that has been made in our nation by those who are elected to be “leaders” - not - “forgetters.” It reminds one of the humorous poem entitled, “My Rememberer.” Some of the lines address the times in which we are living - “My forgetter’s getting better but My rememberer is broke; To you that may seem funny but, to me, that is no joke…For when I'm 'here' I'm wondering If I really should be ‘there’; And, when I try to think it through,I haven't got a prayer…At times I put something away Where it is safe, but, Gee; The person it is safest from Is, generally, me!…”

It is interesting, strange and puzzling both how and when God is referenced within our culture. In general, one hears it all too commonly as either an exclamation or an expression of profanity. When the storms of April 28th and 29th passed through a large swathe of the country, the damage that occurred in many instances was referred to as “an act of God.” This was a personal experience when a neighbor’s tree fell onto a portion of our home and caused several thousands of dollars for repair. The philosophy of the Insurance carriers was/is - “This was an act of God.” Even though they paid a portion of the repair expenses, the idea is that no one is responsible even though the roots of the tree were traceable to the neighbor’s property. What the Insurance Carriers and general public fail to realize is that there is a real God Who is in control of His world and to Whom all will one day have to give an account.

Two passages of God’s Word came to mind as we wrote checks to cover deductibles, etc. The first is: Lamentations 3:20-24, “…But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in him." The second is: Psalm 37:23-26, The steps of a man are established by the LORD…for the LORD upholds his hand. I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing.” There are many more reminders of God’s faithfulness and promises to those who believe in and follow Him than there are detriments and distractions within the culture and world. We would do well to remember that our God has a plan and purpose for His Creation and our personal lives. If one remembers this truth amid the storms of life, he/she will burst into songs of praise and exclaim - “Great Is Thy Faithfulness, O Lord to me!” Consider these things with me.

No comments: