Tuesday, May 6, 2014

DISMISSIVE DISAPPOINTMENTS

From My Perspective - - -

Two of the more “conservative” commentators in the press and television are George Will and Charles Krauthammer. As strange as it seems, both men have little place in their lives for religious affiliation or influences.  A Senior Editor with The Daily Caller, Jamie Weinstein, headlines his recent interview with George Will: “George Will: ‘I’m An Amiable, Low Voltage Atheist.” The interview included: “Will explained his religious views — or lack thereof — during an extensive interview with The Daily Caller on politics, culture and his new book, ‘A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred.’  Will interjected: “I am not religious at all when The Daily Caller said it heard he wasn’t particularly religious.” The reason for this comment was when The Daily Caller brought up it’s previous interview with Charles Krauthammer, in which the other conservative Washington Post columnist said, ‘I don’t believe in God, but I fear him.’ Will went on to explain: “Charles is a great friend of mine and I noticed when he said that. Give me a break! I’m an amiable, low voltage atheist. I deeply respect religions and religious people. The great religions reflect something constant and noble in the human character, defensible and admirable yearnings. I am just not persuaded. That’s all…”

This reminds one of the exchange the Apostle Paul was having with Festus and King Agrippa in Acts 26:24-31, “Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, you are out of your mind; your great learning is driving you out of your mind. But Paul said, I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words. For the king knows about these things, and to him I speak boldly. For I am persuaded that none of these things has escaped his notice, for this has not been done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe. And Agrippa said to Paul, In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian? And Paul said, Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am--except for these chains. Then the king rose, and the governor and Bernice and those who were sitting with them. 3And when they had withdrawn, they said to one another, This man is doing nothing to deserve death or imprisonment." 

When the intellectual community finds no room for God and His Word in their lives, it reminds one of I Corinthians 1:18-25, “For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart. Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men…”

One of the major problems in the communication of God’s Word and Gospel in our culture is due to the inconsistencies and weaknesses of prominent ministers and ministries. The more popular are among the most inconsistent and weak. The post-Christian era is more of a stampede away from the values and principles of God’s Word. Too many are willing to cling to the false hopes to which they are exposed and become accustomed. True men of God must be the vanguard to a new generation of those who embrace the premise of being or becoming a “low-voltage atheist” or one who declares: “I don’t believe in God, but I fear him.” Are you one who is ready and willing to take a serious God seriously? Are you ready to assume the Biblical posture and lifestyle even if you stand alone? In 1873, P.P. Bliss wrote the stirring words to, Dare To Be A Daniel. The refrain should echo in one’s heart, soul and mind: “Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone! Dare to have a purpose firm! Dare to make it known.” May God grant that you will be part of the remnant that is: “Standing by a purpose true; Heeding God’s command…” Consider these things with me!

No comments: