Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TO BE COGNIZANT


From My Perspective - - -

All of us have an obligation to be as fully aware and knowledgeable of the unfolding events and activities in our world, nation, society and culture. The next step that follows awareness and knowledge should be action – doing whatever one can to be and make a difference. To be one who “plays it safe” and who never takes a risk, is unacceptable to the Creator of this Universe, and of no benefit to those who are staggering and directionless in our day. Our culture is so oriented to amusement and technology that many do not even know who holds public office or what the current news events that are occurring.

It is tragic to hear those who hold elected office and those who represent them resort to parsing words, or blaming others, or pleading: “I don’t know!” of “I recused myself!” or “I just heard it from the news media!” In recent history, a senseless crime occurred that bore the name of Watergate. A question that flowed from the Senate Committee at that time became: “What did the President know and when did he know it.” All kinds of behavior and actions took place to avoid response to that question. Then, as now, it can remind one of a character from the Hogan’s Heroes Television Program (1965-71). The Sergeant Schultz character who would often respond to his superiors: “I know nothing!” or “I hear nothing!” or “I see nothing!” It was his way of excusing himself from any responsibility for the activities that would occur within and without the Prisoner of War Camp in Germany. One can hear the Sergeant Schultz responses quite often in the current news cycle. We are being led to believe that all questionable behavior and activity was due to lower echelon workers and those with the major responsibility of governance knew and know nothing about what was taking place. The term employed for this rationale is: “Plausible Deniability.” Wikipedia states: “Historically, it is a term coined by the Central Intelligence Agency during the John F. Kennedy Administration to describe the withholding of information from senior officials in order to protect them from repercussions in the event that illegal or unpopular activities by the CIA became public knowledge.”

How should the “Christian” of our day respond to the cultural trends that are becoming more blatant and more unbiblical each day? How should the “church” respond to the cultural and societal needs that seem to be accelerating? Can we afford the luxury of a Sergeant Schultz response to the world and life – “I know nothing…I see nothing…I hear nothing…”? Even though a previous post used the following verses, they do require repeating – Proverbs 24:12, “If you say, But we knew nothing about this, does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?” There is a God in heaven Who knows what you know and He knows why you failed to speak and act upon the knowledge you possessed. A question to ponder in this verse: “Does not He Who weighs the heart perceive it?” This speaks to one’s inaction, silence, shrugging off responsibility. Hopefully, The Message Paraphrase of this verse will prove to be convicting and call for your renewed consecration – “If you say, Hey, that's none of my business, will that get you off the hook? Someone is watching you closely, you know - Someone not impressed with weak excuses.” 

A further reflection that is of benefit is James 2:12-26. The basic premise is in verses 14-16, “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed, but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?The concluding words in verse 26 should provoke soul-searching by all: “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” There are too many - clergy or parishioners – who choose to safeguard their turf and/or position – preferring the proverbial “ivory tower” and fortress than to be engaged in the nitty-gritty battle that needs to be fought. What choice should one make – Acceptance by man – or – Acceptance by God?” Too many are skirting the issue and running the risk of hearing Jesus one day say (Matthew 25:41-45) “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me…I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.” Consider these things with me.

No comments: