From My Perspective - - -

The English Language is, to say the least, very complex. The best guess estimates indicate there are more than 400,000 words in the English Vocabulary. However, in response to the question: “How many words are in the English Language?”, the following is given as the best acceptable response: “According to AskOxford.com, the English Lexicon contains approximately 250,000 specific words. One can add another 750,000 if one includes senses, such as words used as adjectives or verbs, to make the total approximately one million words.” They go on to say: “Technically, however, there is no agreed-upon answer to the question…because there are currently no accepted parameters for what counts as a unique word.” With this in mind, communication should be measured carefully and wisely before any sweeping statement and/or generalization is spoken or written.

These thoughts have had special significance  as the spouses of friends have died. What can be said by way of sympathy and/or comfort? The sense of sudden aloneness can be overwhelming and adjustment to a new situation and context for the survivors life can be overwhelming. For the one who is a Biblical Christian, faith and hope become a greater reality during this time of transition. Someone has penned the following words as one contemplates this new experience and life adjustment:

Should you go first and I remain to walk the road alone
I'll live in memory's garden, dear, with happy days we've known
In spring,  I'll watch for roses red when fades of lilac's blue
In early fall when the brown leaves call - I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain to finish with the scroll,
No lengthening shadows shall creep in to make this life seem droll.
We've known so much of happiness - yes - we've had our cup of joy,
But memory is one gift of God that death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain for battles to be fought,
Each thing you’ve touched along the way will be a hallowed spot.
I’ll hear your voice I’ll see your smile - And though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand will buoy me on with hope.

Should you go first and I remain one thing I’ll have you do -
Walk slowly down that long, long path for soon I’ll follow you.
And I want to know each step you take that I may walk the same -
For some day, some day down that lonely road, dear-
You’ll hear me call your name…

In terms of the words we speak and the timing with which they are spoken, is summed up for us in -Proverbs 15:23, “To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!”And in Proverbs 25:11, A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” I’ve always marveled at the words in II Corinthians 1:3-4 (NLT), “All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” The reciprocal aspect to this is that because of the reality of comfort one experiences, that one can comfort others when they pass through a similar experience or situation. Consider these things with me!