From My Perspective - - -

There seemingly are many inequities in the world at any given point. We see secularism gaining strength and momentum whereas spirituality is waning and becoming less of a factor in the contemporary world. Islam is growing by leaps and bounds and Mosques are being built everywhere. Whereas, more churches are closing than are being started and some with their grandiose ideas are filing for bankruptcy. There seems to be an abundance of unrighteousness throughout the world, whereas the righteous are having more and more difficulty getting any traction for their lifestyle and priorities.

In Psalm 73:1-9, David wondered aloud before the Lord regarding this very matter. Note his words: “Truly God is good to Israel, To such as are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; My steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no pangs in their death, But their strength is firm. They are not in trouble as other men, Nor are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride serves as their necklace; Violence covers them like a garment. Their eyes bulge with abundance; They have more than heart could wish. They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression; They speak loftily. They set their mouth against the heavens, And their tongue walks through the earth.” As we look at our world and nation today, do these words represent our inner thoughts and prayers? Do we wonder before God – Why? Do we feel there is gross injustice occurring? Do we feel as though no one cares and no one will attempt to change the negative and destructive course of nations and men? Do we become exasperated and muse – What’s the use? It just doesn’t matter anymore – or – does it?

David progressed – and – so should we. In Psalm 73:16-28, note his words: “When I thought how to understand this, It was too painful for me - Until I went into the sanctuary of God; Then I understood their end. Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down to destruction…I was so foolish and ignorant…Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, And afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever…it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, That I may declare all Your works.” There is another side to this matter. Not everyone gets to reflect in this life as David did. The Lord in His grace and mercy – His eternal plan – has something far better in store. We get a glimpse and a peek of this eternal plan in Isaiah 56 and 57.

The Lord says to His prophet that He is aware of the times through which His people pass and persevere. Isaiah 56:8-12 is a summary of the times and what is about to take place – “The Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, says, Yet I will gather to him others besides those who are gathered to him. His watchmen are blind, they are all ignorant; they are all dumb dogs, They cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber. Yes, they are greedy dogs which never have enough. And they are shepherds who cannot understand; They all look to their own way, every one for his own gain…Come," one says, I will bring wine, and we will fill ourselves with intoxicating drink; tomorrow will be as today, And much more abundant." This is a description of the shepherds – the Pastors – who have failed in their task. So – what does the Lord do for His people in such situations and at such times? In Isaiah 57:1-2, “The righteous perishes, and no man takes it to heart; merciful men are taken away, while no one considers that the righteous is taken away from evil. He shall enter into peace; they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.” The Lord echoes – I am your Shepherd, you shall not want (Psalm 23) – and He comes and embraces His scattered multitudes – those who have become disillusioned – and takes them to Himself – that where He is, they may be also! Some speak of the “rapture” and the sudden appearance of the Lord to take His own to Himself! Can it happen soon? Yes! Will it happen in our generation? Just wait and see – but – be ready – He is coming soon!  Consider these things with me!