From My Perspective - - -

There are many people with a very poor sense of direction. To give such a person travel directions of when to go East or when to go South, this can result in confusion and a total loss or sense of direction. They can understand turn right or turn left – but NSEW – forget it – these directions are a waste of time and only serve to confuse the person receiving them. They will become annoyed and frustrated as they pursue their journey and coming to the place of not knowing which way is up? Have you ever been there? Are you there now? Maybe even coming to the point of not wanting to leave on a journey because they have a very poor sense of direction and would find no pleasure as a result.

As one looks at the world today, it is easy to arrive at the conclusion – where are we going and where are we headed? Another aspect of this is if we think we know where we are headed, why is there so much misdirection and continual turning into dead ends? If one attempts to keep up with the events of any given time period, and then thinks someone can speak authoritatively and say which way things are headed, only serves to demonstrate and magnify the problem for that period of time. Where is the economy headed; where are the nations in the Middle East headed; where is our nation headed; where is the economy headed; how many severe storms can be expected; what does The Church have to say in terms of the best direction for a confused and misdirected world? These and many other questions can and should be asked and more importantly – be answered! The underlying issue for many who speak is their personal integrity and whether or not they actually know which way is up!

When attending Sunday School as children, one of the Bible verses we were given to memorize was Isaiah 53:6. Some of us did not know what it meant, especially since we were products of a city. The first phrase of the verse is: “All we like sheep have gone astray…” Later on, a question that was in my mind was – Why did the sheep go astray? I began to understand it more clearly from a passage such as Matthew 9:35-36, “Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom…when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.” What a description – the sheep were weary and scattered – wandering with no shepherd to guide them on the right and safe path for their journey. Ezekiel 34:2-6 indicates the plight of the sheep when the shepherds fail to do what is right and best for the sheep and lambs: “…prophesy against the shepherds of Israel…Thus says the Lord God to the shepherds - Woe to the shepherds…who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks? You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool; you slaughter the fatlings, but you do not feed the flock. The weak you have not strengthened, nor have you healed those who were sick, nor bound up the broken, nor brought back what was driven away, nor sought what was lost; but with force and cruelty you have ruled them. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the beasts of the field when they were scattered. My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and on every high hill; yes, My flock was scattered over the whole face of the earth, and no one was seeking or searching for them."

Jesus Christ took upon Himself the task of seeking and finding the sheep who were straying and helpless. In John 10:25-28, “Jesus answered…I told you, and you do not believe…you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.” No confusion here. In John 10:14-18, Jesus declared: “I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own…I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.” There is hope and there is right direction. You can know which way is up! Jesus Christ is saying - just follow Me. Have you? Will you?  Consider these things with me!