Friday, February 19, 2010

Finessing A Blunder

From My Perspective - - -

A person skilled in the English Language can speak in such a way that no clear, precise or definitive discourse occurs. Such is the case of Finessing A Blunder or other situations. Finesse means: “Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution…Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering…To handle with a deceptive or evasive strategy…” Much political speech performs in this capacity. Rarely does one hear a precise answer to a specific question or interrogatory. The other approach is to control who will be involved in posing a question. This will prevent anything confrontational or deliberative from transpiring.

An illustration of the control in a story of some interest is described today by The Associated Press: “Out of sight for almost three months, Tiger Woods will be back for a day. After that — who knows. Golf's biggest star is to make his first public appearance Friday since he ran his SUV over a fire hydrant and into a tree outside his Florida home on November 27, setting off a shocking and sordid sex scandal. The setting for his return is decidedly friendly. It may be hard to remember the planet is watching. Woods will speak to a small group of ‘friends, colleagues and close associates’ in the Sunset Room on the second floor of the TPC Sawgrass, home of the PGA Tour. Just one video camera will broadcast the event and there will be no questions. Once he's done, Woods apparently won't be sticking around much longer. He is to return to therapy after he speaks about his infidelity and his future plans, according to a letter from PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem obtained by The Associated Press.” It has been suggested that someone else has crafted the remarks that will be given.

It would be beneficial for any therapy if there was just a simple and plain statement of admission. Why not say: “I made some foolish and selfish choices that has affected and hurt those who are the closest to me – my wife and children. I have tried to cover up my affairs and accident but I want to state plainly that I have been wrong for doing the things I have done. I don’t deserve understanding or forgiveness but I hope that my wife and children can find the mercy and compassion to forgive me for my grievous behavior. The many people who have followed my career and been so helpful to me – I hope that they too will find it possible to grant me a second chance. I wish there was a way for me to adequately make amends – I will try my best to be more responsible and honorable in the future…” This is the best one could hope for from a secular-oriented sports professional and business man.

Innately, everyone has a tendency to avoid and/or sugarcoat the truth. The Garden of Eden is a classic example of an act of disobedience – and – two individuals thinking they could hide their act and themselves from Almighty God. Adam and Eve set in motion this process of Finessing A Blunder/Sin. A classic Biblical example is when David allowed himself to lust for Bathsheba. II Samuel 11-12 tells the sad story of King David and his adultery with Bathsheba. A complication develops when Bathsheba becomes pregnant. In his attempt to cover-up his sinful behavior, King David tries to manipulate Uriah – the husband of Bathsheba by bringing him home for a brief furlough from a battle. When this fails, King David continues in his Finessing A Blunder/Sin by ordering that Uriah be allowed to be killed in Battle. This takes place and King David believes his cover-up worked effectively and efficiently.

One thing King David allowed himself to forget – – God! When he remembers God, all Finessing Of A Blunder/Sin comes to a screeching halt. David writes: Psalm 32:1-5, “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven …When I kept silent (about my sin), my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long…I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin.” Psalm 51:1-4, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight…” Do you try to Finesse your Blunders/Sins? Acknowledge them and know God’s cleaning and forgiveness. Don’t Delay – Do It Today! Consider these things with me!

No comments: