Thursday, December 6, 2007

Me, Myself and "I"

I was just thinking about - - -

Some people have both a preoccupation with and a bad habit of utilizing the personal pronoun "I" in whatever discourse is occurring. A recent example of this was in Iowa this past week when a 10 minute speech was given to support one's spouse in the caucus. In the course of that speech, the pronoun "I" was mentioned 94 times, whereas the candidates name was mentioned only 7 times. This type thing occurs with many egocentric types and those who have a great sense of self-importance. It requires considerable discipline and commitment to bring about correction in this area.
From both a personal development in one's physical interaction, to one's spiritual nurture, the subject of "I" needs to be minimized and less apparent.
There is an old Hymn of the Church that captures this idea. The first Stanza of that Hymn is:
Not I, but Christ, be honored, loved, exalted;
Not I, but Christ, be seen be known, be heard;
Not I, but Christ, in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ, in every thought and word.
From a Christian perspective, there is a twofold example:
First, is John the Baptist - -
In John 3:30, John the Baptist makes this distinction: He must Increase, but "I" must decrease. And in Luke 3:16, he also states: "...I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie..." John the Baptist understood his role and calling, primarily that of a fore-runner. Could he have drawn attention to himself? Of course, he could but he lived humbly and came into the public arena only reluctantly.
Second is the Apostle Paul - -
Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Very simply, Paul was indicating the importance of "I" being minimized and eliminated as the focus and/or subject. The third stanza of the above mentioned Hymn is:
Christ, only Christ! no idle words e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ; no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ; no self important bearing;
Christ, only Christ; no trace of “I” be found.
This is an achievable goal and should be sought and striven toward. We can and will have greater acceptance and impact if we discipline ourselves to get the focus off of "I". The contribution we are attempting to share in human discourse will be more readily received, considered and debated if and when the "I" is not the prominent point of discussion. It surely suggests, maybe demands, that at the very least we Think About It.

No comments: