Saturday, December 22, 2007

Gifts and Giving

I was just thinking about - - -

The values one embraces apply to all areas of life. Not the least of these is the avoidance of debt - especially through the use of credit cards. All one needs to do is to go to the store of your choice, be it Target, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, etc. and you will see people incurring debt at an exorbitant rate. These businesses know the propensity of people and have special sale days and hours starting on the day after Thanksgiving. With all of the lecturing and counsel given by conservative economists, and broadcasts such as Dave Ramsey - people ignore it all because they want their children, family and friends to be happy.

When it comes to gifts received (or given), even the Atheist would not quibble with whether the 25th of December is a Winter Holiday or A Day commemorating the historic Birth of Jesus Christ - thus calling it CHRISTmas Day. The focus is on a gift, not on the day per se.

If we allow ourselves to get back to basics, we would ask ourselves: "If this is the birthday of Jesus Christ, why aren't we giving him presents and having a party for Him?" Over the years, our family has tried to remember the reason of the day. We did the routine of a Birthday Cake and the singing of Happy Birthday to Jesus. For the past several years, there is ample opportunity of ministering to the needy and homeless and helpless in our country and world...
  • The Salvation Army collecting our change outside of businesses...
  • Angel Tree - a ministry of Prison Fellowship where gifts are given to children and families of prisoners
  • Samaritan's Purse - that began the Shoe Box Ministry and giving practical supplies, as well as toys and games to children throughout the world
  • Jimmie Hale Mission in Birmingham, AL that economically feeds the homeless and hungry
  • Palmer Home for Children in Columbus, MS where children are housed, fed, provided a home setting with House Parents, and assisted in their education
  • French Camp Academy in French Camp, MS where children are housed, fed and educated in a House Parent setting
The list could easily be extended to include other worthwhile efforts and ministry. The above are among the more credible and efficient in their use of funds and materials.

It is easy to become annoyed through mail solicitations for one to borrow money. Blank Checks are sent so you can fill in for up to $5,000.00 that will enable you to consolidate your bills and make that special purchase. WARNING - - - you will pay for that money!
I love the words of Proverbs 30:7-9,
O God, I beg two favors from you before I die. First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name.
I hope we can retain our focus the The One Whose Birthday is being remembered and celebrated. I love the words of a Christmas Lyric that bring us back to an apt focus and commitment - - -
What can I give him, Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I'd give him a lamb.
If I were a Wiseman, I would do my part.

What can I give him?, I'LL GIVE HIM MY HEART.

No comments: