Tuesday, September 17, 2019

RESTRICTIONS


I Was Just Thinking About  – Restrictions.

One’s everyday  life consists of many restrictions. They are so common place that one hardly notices them. One is that while driving, one approaches an intersection and observes a red octagon with large white letters in the middle – STOP. While most observe that restriction (especially if a police person is nearby), the interpretation of STOP for others is to slow down slightly and drive on.

It is easy to reflect on how one’s interpretations of God’s Word reaches a different behavior than that stated by God. Matthew 7:13-14 states: “Enter by the narrow gate…the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” Years ago, I was encouraged and helped when reading a commentary on this passage. The author, Matthew Poole, indicated: “The restrictions of the narrow way are not intended as infringements on one’s liberty but as protections against evil.” He added: “That course of life and actions which will bring a man to heaven is strait, unpleasing to flesh and blood, not at all gratifying men’s sensitive appetites, and narrow, a way wherein men will meet with many crosses and temptations; and there are but a few will find it.” Jesus taught: “You must not therefore wonder if my precepts be hard to your carnal apprehensions, nor be scandalized though you see but few going in the right road to the kingdom of heaven.”

Added to the concept of restrictions along the narrow way, Jesus went on to teach (Luke 9:23 NLT): “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.” In the MSG, “Jesus told them what they could expect for themselves: Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat—I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.”

The Hymn-writer Marlatt - 1926) raised a crucial question that demands a positive response and commitment for any follower of Jesus Christ:
Are ye able, said the Master, 
To be crucified with Me?
Yea, the sturdy dreamers answered,
To the death we follow Thee.
Refrain:
Lord, we are able. Our spirits are Thine.
Remold them, make us, like Thee, divine.
Thy guiding radiance above us shall be
A beacon to God, to love and loyalty.

How should one respond to the teaching of Jesus Christ for one’s personal commitment? The Apostle Paul indicated what that should mean for any and all followers of Jesus…
Galatians 2:20-21, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Philippians 1:20-21, “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

This is as plain and simple as a true commitment can be stated. Is it a commitment YOU have made? If not, what is causing YOU to delay? Do you have a better way than the one – Jesus Christ – who said: “I am the way”?

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.

No comments: