Friday, May 7, 2010

Mama's Dog House Is A Bad Place To Be

From My Perspective - - -

Sunday, May 9th is Mother’s Day. Some reflections – memories – come readily to mind as one thinks of Mama and the role she had in shaping the life or lives of her children. Some personal reflections are:
If you have a choice – to go to Mama’s Wood Shed or Mama’s Dog House – choose the Wood Shed. The reasons are that (a) you doubtlessly deserved the Wood Shed moments, (b) her Board of Education to your seat of learning did more to shape character and give meaningful direction for your life, and (c) that experience is soon forgotten in the reaffirming embrace of a Mother who reminded you of her love. Just a look at the tear in her eye was reminder enough of her pain and disappointment that occasioned the discipline in the Wood Shed.

Stay in touch with your Mother – a visit, telephone call, a personal note, a gift, a card – all have far more significance and meaning beyond your imagination.
Lewis Grizzard was an outstanding southern humorist. He could be caustic and raunchy at times but there was something special he offered as Mother’s Day neared, namely: “Don’t Forget To Write Your Mama – I Wish I Could Still Write Mine.”
Erma Bombeck, a writer and humorist, made these observations about a Mother - - - "It is not until you become a mother that your judgment slowly turns to compassion and understanding." Her observation about those contemplating marriage and motherhood - - - "Spend at least one Mother's Day with your respective mothers before you decide on marriage. If a man gives his mother a gift certificate for a flu shot, dump him."
Someone made this general observation - - - "Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, - but you have only one mother in the whole world."
Rose Kennedy, Mother of President John F. Kennedy, shared this thought about Motherhood - - - "I looked on child rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best I could bring to it."

In a different time and generation, it was not uncommon for a Grandmother to be part of what we called Home and Family. In a situation where a Father had died and a Mother had to have employment to provide for her child or children, a Grandmother was an invaluable resource and influence. She tended to be strict and her assessments and evaluations of our whereabouts and adventures bordered on the psychic. In such a situation, I think of what Paul wrote in II Timothy 1:5-6, “I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your Grandmother Lois and your Mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you…” My Grandmother died when I was a directionless teenager. I’m sure she wondered where she and my Mother had failed. There are times – moments – when I wish my Grandmother could have known that her discipline and influence had not been in vain. If she could have only seen and known the direction my life took, the going to college and beyond - - and if she could’ve met the love of my life and those whom she could have known as her Great Grand-children - - I’m sure her joy would have been considerable.
For the one who became my wife, and for that patient and longsuffering Grandmother and Mother, some of the words of Proverbs 31 are deserved and fitting: (Vs. 10-12) “An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.” (Vs. 28-31) “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.” Never take a Wife, or Mother, or Grandmother for granted. This Mother’s Day - Don’t forget to visit, call or write your Mama – I wish I could do all of that with mine! Consider these things with me!

No comments: